Questions to Ask Your Doctor When You Get a New Prescription
Use this script of questions anytime you are prescribed a new medicine.
Ask your doctor these questions about any new prescription:
1. What is this medicine for?
2. What side effects might I encounter?
3. What side effects are dangerous and should cause me to stop taking this medicine and call you?
4. If I have to stop taking this medicine because of side effects, is there another that I can take instead?
5. What are the dangers for me if I don’t take this medicine?
6. What time of day should I take it?
7. Should I take it with food or without?
8. Can I take it with any kind of liquid, or only with water?
9. How will I know if it’s working?
10. How long should this medicine take to begin working?
11. For how long should I continue taking this medicine?
Remember: while only a doctor can prescribe medicine, you are the one ultimately responsible for your health.