The Cake Boss’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Everyone’s favorite fall treat.
This is the pumpkin pie that was sold at Carlo’s Bakery on Adams Street. It seemed out of place among the Italian specialties but, every Thanksgiving, the store sold an incredible number of them; a touching sign that, while most of our customers held fast to their cultural roots back in Italy, they also embraced the traditions of their adopted country.
Makes one 9-inch pie
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (I like Libby’s Pure Pumpkin)
3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
11⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
11⁄2 cups whole milk
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust, store bought or homemade
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Put the pumpkin, sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, mace, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Paddle at low-medium speed for approximately 2 minutes.
3. With the motor running, pour in the milk in 2 additions. stop the motor, scrape the sides of the bowl with a wooden spatula, restart, and paddle for and additional 2 minutes. Add the eggs and paddle until absorbed, approximately 2 additional minutes.
4. Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie crust in a pan, and bake for 15 minutes, then the lower heat to 375°F, and bake until a finger dabbed onto the surface emerges clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for 1 to 2 hours. slice and serve right away, or cover with plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
CAKE BOSS: STORIES AND RECIPES FROM MIA FAMIGLIA, BY BUDDY VALASTRO, COPYRIGHT © 2010 BY DISCOVERY LICENSING, INC., PUBLISHED AT $25.99 BY FREE PRESS, A DIVISION OF SIMON & SCHUSTER, INC., 1230 AVE. OF THE AMERICAS, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10020