What It Takes to Travel Like Royalty, According to British Royal Family Experts
So what does it mean, exactly, to travel "royal style?" All it takes is a healthy bank account and a taste for the finer things—we've got the scoop.
Although Meghan Markle will never be called “Princess Meghan” thanks to British monarchy protocol and its intricate technicalities, that won’t stop her from living like a princess once she marries into the family of her intended, Prince Harry. And one thing that goes with living like a princess is traveling like a royal. If you want the royal experience, here’s what it takes:
- Have a huge travel budget: Although the British royal family, like most families, has limitations, they’re minimal: According to Hello Magazine, the royal travel budget was $5.8 million in 2017.
- Expect your destination to pick up your expenses: The countries that royals visit often pay for some of the travel costs.
- Travel by private jet: Sometimes the royals also fly commercial, but pretty much only British Airways.
- Travel with a full staff and security entourage: The royals never travel without their full squad of trained professionals, sometimes as many as a dozen deep. (Did you know the Queen of England doesn’t need a passport?)
- Stay in the swankiest locales: For their honeymoon, Prince William and Duchess Kate visited The Seychelles (a small republic in the Indian Ocean), and stayed in a villa that costs $7,995 nightly, according to Fodor’s Travel. Duchess Kate’s rumored favorite Caribbean vacation spot is Mustique, where renting a private home can cost upwards of $30,000 a week.
- Hobnob with A-listers: Think heads of state, rock stars, movie stars, sports stars, etc. Of course, Meghan Markle is already a Hollywood star in her own right, and according to the Daily Mail, Duchess Kate was starstruck at the thought of meeting her.
Unless you have the funds, traveling like a member of the royal family will be tough. You could take small steps, like packing the one beauty product Meghan Markle never travels without. It’s totally affordable! If you want to live like Meghan, you may not love these royal rules she followed while pregnant.