Turkey Pot Pie
A turkey pot pie is also a great way to use up any leftovers from a holiday turkey.
When it came to making turkey or chicken pot pies, grandma’s rule was—anything goes. Some grandmas topped their pies with dumplings. Others used pastry as in this recipe.
[ingredients-list title=”Ingredients” serving_size=””]
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated skimmed milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and white or black pepper
- 1 store-bought or homemade pie crust
- Low-fat (1% milkfat) milk
[cooking_tip]Positioning rolled-out homemade pie crust on top of a pie can sometimes be tricky. Here’s how to move the pie crust without tearing it. Transfer the pie crust to a rolling pin by lifting the edge of the crust over the top of the rolling pin. Then, gently roll up the crust. After positioning the rolling pin at 1 edge of the filled casserole, slowly unroll the crust over the casserole.[/cooking_tip]
[step-list-wrapper title=”How to make it” time=”1 hour, 30 minutes”]
[step-item number=”X” image_url=”” title=”” ]Rinse turkey; drain and pat dry. In a large saucepan, place the turkey, potato, carrots, onion, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.[/step-item]
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In the same saucepan, whisk together the evaporated skimmed milk, flour, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir in the reserved cooking liquid. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken. Cook and whisk for 2 minutes more or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the turkey mixture.[/step-item]
3. Spoon the turkey mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Place the pie crust on top of mixture in casserole (tip, below). Trim to 1 inch beyond edge of casserole. Fold under extra crust and crimp edge. Cut slits in crust. Brush with a little milk. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pie crust is golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.[/step-item][/step-list-wrapper]
[nutrition-info calories=”384″ calories_fat=”” fat=”11g” sat_fat=”10g” choles=”75mg” sodium=”439mg” carbs=”37g” sugars=”” protein=”33g” fiber=”1g”]