Wild Mushroom-Cheddar Burger
This recipe comes from Bobby Flay, so you know it has to be good.
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. unsalted butter
- 12 oz. (about 1 1/2 cups) assorted mushrooms (such as cremini, lobster, chanterelle, and stemmed shiitake), chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck (80 percent lean) or ground turkey (90 percent lean)
- 1 1/2 tbs. canola oil
- 4 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split; toasted, if desired
- Chipotle Ketchup (see below)
How to make it:
- Heat olive oil and butter in large sauté pan over high heat until almost smoking. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add shallot, season with salt and pepper, and cook until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and parsley and transfer to bowl.
- Divide meat into 4 equal portions (about 6 oz. each). Form each portion loosely into 3/4-inch-thick burger and make deep depression in center with your thumb. Season both sides of each burger with salt and pepper.
- Brush burgers with canola oil, and grill on high, turning once (for beef, 7 minutes for medium-rare or 10 minutes for well; for turkey, cook through, about 10 minutes). Top each with a slice of cheese, and use a basting cover to melt cheese during last minute of cooking.
- Place burgers on bun bottoms and top each with Chipotle Ketchup, if using, and large spoonful of mushrooms. Cover with bun tops and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Ingredients, Chipotle Ketchup:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 to 3 tbs. puréed, canned chipotle in adobo (depending on how spicy you prefer it)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
How to make it:
Whisk together ketchup, chipotle, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Sauce will keep for one week in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. Makes 1 cup.
Adapted from Bobby Flay’s Burgers, Fries & Shakes (Clarkson Potter)