40 Powerful Yoda Quotes to Master Your Inner Jedi
These timeless Yoda quotes will awaken the Force within you
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Who could ever imagine that a little green character from a film series that kicked off more than 40 years ago would hold up as one of cinema’s most beloved teachers of all time? Yoda was first introduced to audiences in The Empire Strikes Back and quickly became the moral compass of the popular franchise. This legendary master has trained Jedis for over 800 years and possesses one of the strongest connections to the Force of any Jedi we’ve seen. His teachings transcend all generations and show us how to be patient, to search for the light and to believe all things are possible.
Yoda is one of the many reasons the Star Wars franchise has become so popular that it now has its own official holiday on May 4, Star Wars Day. This fandom-created day has become one Wookie of a holiday, with Yoda being one of the central figures celebrated. Catch up on some of Yoda’s best quotes here and when you watch the flicks. Not sure where to start? This is the best way to watch the Star Wars movies in order.
Yoda quotes from The Empire Strikes Back
1. “Always with you, it cannot be done.”
2. “No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.”
3. “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?”
4. “That is why you fail.”
5. “A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
6. “A Jedi’s strength flows from the Force.”
7. “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
8. “Wars not make one great.”
9. “I can’t teach him. The boy has no patience.”
10. “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
Psst—these are the best Star Wars movies, ranked.
Yoda quotes about fear
11. “Train yourself to let go of everything you are afraid to lose.”
12. “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
13. “Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they.”
14. “Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”
15. “Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.”
Here are more Star Wars quotes that will awaken your inner Jedi.
Yoda quotes about overcoming failure
16. “The greatest teacher failure is.”
17. “In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way.”
18. “Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not.”
19. “Powerful you have become. The dark side I sense in you.”
20. “Feel the Force!”
21. “Truly wonderful the mind of a child is.”
22. “The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is.”
23. “You will find only what you bring in.”
24. “To be Jedi is to face the truth and choose. Give off light, or darkness, Padawan. Be a candle, or the night.”
25. “Control, control, you must learn control!”
26. “On many long journeys have I gone. And waited, too, for others to return from journeys of their own. Some return; some are broken; some come back so different only their names remain.”
27. “Pass on what you have learned.”
How many of these Star Wars facts do you know?
Yoda quotes about the dark side
28. “In the end, cowards are those who follow the dark side.”
29. “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.”
30. “To answer power with power, the Jedi way this is not. In this war, a danger there is, of losing who we are.”
31. “Clear, your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot.”
32. “Hard to see the dark side is.”
33. “Pass on what you have learned.”
34. “When you look at the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.”
35. “Smaller in number are we, but larger in mind.”
36. “Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.”
37. “Your path you must decide.”
38. “If no mistake you have made, losing you are. A different game you should play.”
39. “Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.”
Looking for something funny? These Star Wars jokes are out of this world.
The most classic Yoda—and Star Wars—quote of all
40. “May the Force be with you.”
Now, test your knowledge with these Star Wars trivia questions.