Zesty Steak Fajitas
These spicy fajitas are a flavorful––yet healthy––Mexican summer dish
Prep time: 30 min
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Canned black beans and guacamole
How to make it:
Time: 30 minutes
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- Broil or grill steak over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°F; medium, 160°F; well-done, 170°F).
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté onion in oil until crisp-tender. Slice steak into thin strips across the grain; place on tortillas. Top with onion and the reserved tomato relish. Serve with black beans and guacamole.
Editor’s Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face.