Population: 3,968 (2000 Census)
Round 1: Second Place Municipal Runner-Up Prize of $25,000
For: Library renovations
The Dominy Memorial Library, housed in a century-old landmark structure, is beginning a new chapter of its history. A major renovation is well underway that will increase accessibility for those with disabilities, create new community rooms and meeting areas, and add a 10,000 square foot facility for children’s activities.
Although fundraising for this $2 million-plus initiative had been going on for a while, Fairbury’s success in securing money from the Reader’s Digest We Hear You America campaign last year had an incredible impact. The Reader’s Digest promotion helped shine a spotlight on the project and sparked even more donations. Debbie Oakland, the library’s director, said, “when everyone pulls together, anything is possible.” With six months of construction completed, the Dominy Memorial Library staff is excited to be moving back into its refurbished space at the beginning of 2012.
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- Carry These 3 Items All the Time—They Could Save Your Life One Day
- 28 Real Couples Reveal How They Knew They Found “The One”
- 6 Proven Skills for Any Emergency, from Someone Who’s Edited 30+ Survival Dramas
- This News Crew Saved a Man Live on Television During Hurricane Harvey
- A Photographer Turned Kids with Disabilities Into Superheroes—and the Results Are EPIC