She’s been described as mesmerizing, hypnotizing, a rock star. Last week, Lydia Callis, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s American Sign Language interpreter, emerged as one of the few bright spots during coverage of Hurricane Sandy.
ASL interpreters normally blend into the background, but Callis did anything but—her gesticulating communicated vital storm information to the hearing-impaired and made me (and I’d bet lots of other hearing people) appreciate the expressiveness of ASL and the sheer awesomeness of Callis’s work.
Don’t miss these homages to her expressiveness: “Lydia Calas: NYC’s Finest ASL Interpreter” on tumblr, “We Love You, Lydia Callis” at The Daily Beast, and the great clip below:
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 51 Favorite Facts You’ve Always Believed That Are Actually False
- Being Bald Actually Boosts Your Attractiveness, According to Science
- This Is the Rarest Hair and Eye Color Combination in Humans
- 16 Powerful Quotes to Remind You to Be Grateful Every Single Day
- This Storm Chaser Captured a Perfect Shot that Will Give You Goosebumps