Want to download a quick, compelling, no-cost read? A free app called Bookslinger treats you to a new short story (fiction) every week on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch; plus there’s a trove of earlier stories. to browse by category (Love & Consequences, Future Fiction & Fantasy; Thrillers, etc.). The stories are all selected from published collections. The newest story available, “How to Fall” is by National Book Award finalist Edith Pearlman.
Full disclosure: I found out about Bookslinger when they selected a story from a book I wrote a few years ago—they plan to feature it starting Friday. As it happens, it’s a story about my dad, who died 12 years ago this month. which feels like a nice remembrance over the holidays. My personal connection aside, Bookslinger is a pretty nifty app, and I’m happy to have its cache of stories on my phone, nestled in between my beloved Google maps and Pandora.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- Ever Wonder Why the Contraction for Will Not Isn’t “Willn’t”? We Know the Reason
- If You Laugh at These Dark Jokes, You’re Probably a Genius
- 25 of the Most Famous Movie Quotes of All Time
- 23 Things Your Mail Carrier Won’t Tell You
- There’s Only One Letter That’s Not in Any U.S. State Name. Can You Guess It?