My two sons, in their 20s now, loved toy trains when they were young. So this Smithsonian video of a father and son sending a toy train named Stanley 18 miles into the sky with a weather balloon not only amazed me, it brought back sweet memories.
I love everything about it — the music, the quick shot of the little boy clutching his toy (my guys held their trains the same way), the excitement of the flight and the dramatic ending, which you’ll have to see for yourself. Stanley appears to be a member of the Thomas the Tank Engine gang, but his paint is worn off, so I’m not sure exactly who he is. I’ll have to ask the boys. They’ll know.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 51 Favorite Facts You’ve Always Believed That Are Actually False
- 17 Common Food Names You Probably Pronounce Wrong
- 16 Powerful Quotes to Remind You to Be Grateful Every Single Day
- The Inspiring Reason People Are Painting Their Pumpkins Teal This Halloween
- Weird Facts About 7 Punctuation Marks You See Everywhere