14 Mind-Blowing Facts About Selfies
Selfies may seem vain and frivolous, but there’s actually a lot more to this cultural phenomenon than meets the (camera’s) eye.
It’s been the word of the year
In 2013, “selfie” was named The Oxford English Dictionary’s Word of the Year. Most years, there will be some disagreement or debate over which word should receive the honor, but in 2013, ‘selfie’ was chosen almost unanimously and expected from the start. And how could they not choose it? Selfie’s usage in the English language had increased by 17,000 percent that year alone.
They aren’t always welcome
There has been a growing ban on selfie-taking, specifically when using selfie-sticks as tools. Disneyland’s Paris, Hong Kong, and American theme parks have forbidden the use of selfie sticks on their premises. The Palace Museum in Beijing and the Sistine Chapel in Italy have done the same. Even festivals like Lollapalooza in Chicago and Coachella in California have called for a halt. It looks like visitors will have to document their fun the old fashioned way: by extending their arms. These genius tips can help you snap better photos with your smartphone—no selfie stick required.
They aren’t always what they seem
The purpose of a self-portrait is to reflect your true self in a moment worth capturing. Sadly, it seems online selfies, more often than not, don’t actually portray reality. According to a recent survey, 68 percent of selfie-takers admitted to editing their photos before sharing online. This number is up from 48 percent of people who admitted to doctoring their selfies in 2014, suggesting that the pressure to appear perfect has only increased.
They’re not the majority
Although selfies may seem to be every other picture you encounter online, they fortunately aren’t the majority of all photos taken. In fact, people take selfies far less than we assume. Only 4 percent of all images are actually selfies (depending on the city). The other 96 percent of photos feature monuments, food, pets, shoes, friends, family, and more.