17 Words You Need to Know When Dining in a French Restaurant
1. À la carte: Bill of fare from which the diner selects individual dishes; also, means dishes cooked to order.
2. à la: In the style of; for example, à la russe, which means ‘in the Russian style’.
4. Cassoulet: Stew of mixed meats and goose or duck with haricot verts (green beans) and French sausage. Topped with browned crust of breadcrumbs.
12. Marinière 1. Of mussels; cooked in white wine and herbs, and served in half shells. 2. Of fish; cooked in white wine and garnished with mussels.
13. Meunière In the style of a miller's wife; fish cooked in butter, seasoned, and sprinkled with parsley and lemon juice. As in a classic sole meunière.