Graduations, weddings, anniversaries—summer is the season of celebrations. And what’s a celebration without champagne? Don’t let a fear of uncorking the bubbly keep you from enjoying the party. Just follow these simple steps next time you have the honor of playing host.
Plus: 4 Champagne Cocktails and 4 Appetizer Recipes for Your Party
1. With one hand, hold the bottle with the cork aiming away from you and your guests (and anything breakable). Grasp the cork with the other hand.
2. Hold the bottle at a 45-degree angle and untwist the foil and wire cage. You may want to hold a napkin over the cork as you remove the cage, in case the cork decides to pop.
3. With the other hand, begin turning the bottle. Continue until the cork starts to give.
4. Slowly and carefully pull the bottle down while still holding the cork. Now that the pressure has been released somewhat, you can safely remove the cork.
5. Pour, toast, sip, and celebrate!