Traditional Holiday Stuffing
Hosting Thanksgiving this year? Be sure to download our FREE Thanksgiving guide with recipes, jokes, stories and more.
Prep: 20 min. • Cook: 3 hours • Makes: 10 servings
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (141/2 oz.) chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 11/2 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 pkg. (14 oz.) seasoned stuffing cubes (about 9 cups)
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and celery over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, eggs, melted butter, sage and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients and mix lightly to combine.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 3-4 hours, stirring once.
Per serving 412 cal., 25g fat (7g sat. fat), 75mg chol., 1080mg sod., 37g carb. (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g pro.
Follow these tips to keep your sanity if you're hosting Thanksgiving.
Creamy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes get even better when topped with a savory trio of cheese, onions, and bacon. Follow this low-stress game plan to help you get ready for the big holiday. Get the recipe from Taste of Home.
Roasted Green Vegetable Medley
Prep: 20 min. • Bake: 20 min. • Makes: 10 servings
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-in. pieces
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 10 small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 8 fresh Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-in. slices
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. julienned fresh basil leaves, optional
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place first seven ingredients in a large bowl; toss with 2 Tbsp. oil. Divide between two 15x10x1-in. pans coated with cooking spray.
- Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl. Mix remaining ingredients with remaining oil; toss with vegetables.
Per serving 109 cal., 7g fat (1g sat. fat), 3mg chol., 96mg sod., 10g carb. (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g pro. Diabetic exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
You'll most likely make these 8 dumb mistakes this Thanksgiving.
Broccoli-Cauliflower Cheese Bake
Creamy mozzarella and Swiss cheeses create the base for these tasty veggies, while a hint of cayenne pepper gives them a kick guests will adore. Get the recipe from Taste of Home.
Here are some more time-saving tips if you're hosting Thanksgiving this year.
Spiced Ambrosia Punch
Prep: 15 min. • Cook: 3 hours • Makes: 10 servings
- 3 1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 3 cups apricot nectar
- 1 cup peach nectar or additional apricot nectar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 in.)
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 8 whole cloves
- Orange slices and lemon peel strips, optional
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine first seven ingredients. Place cinnamon sticks, ginger, orange peel and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 3-4 hours. Discard spice bag. Serve warm. Garnish if desired.
Per serving 115 cal., 0 fat (0 sat. fat), 0 chol., 14mg sod., 29g carb. (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 pro.
Sesame Green Beans
Vibrant and flavorful, this side will be a welcome accompaniment to any menu. Get this recipe from Taste of Home.
Do you know what happens to your body when you overeat on Thanksgiving? It's not pretty.
Creamy Cranberry Salad
Prep: 15 min. + chilling • Makes: 16 servings
- 3 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1 can (20 oz.) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, stir together the first six ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream and walnuts into the cranberry mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips: Make it easy on yourself. Pulse cranberries in a food processor to chop them.To really bring the walnuts to life, toast them for a few minutes in a dry skillet. Stir occasionally and watch closely so they don’t burn. Remove from the heat when fragrant.
Per serving 200 cal., 12g fat (7g sat. fat), 34mg chol., 32mg sod., 23g carb. (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g pro.
Butternut Orzo Risotto
This creamy dish resembles traditional rice risotto, only it’s quicker and easier to make. Get this recipe from Taste of Home.
Need help setting the Thanksgiving table? These easy tips and tablescape ideas will help.
Sausage Bread Dressing
To save time, chop the veggies and prepare the stuffing mix ahead of time. Get this recipe from Taste of Home.