Traditional Holiday Stuffingtaste of home
Hosting Thanksgiving this year? Be sure to download our FREE Thanksgiving guide with recipes, jokes, stories and more.
Sausage Dressingcountry woman
I rely on this slow cooker recipe at Thanksgiving when there is no room in the oven. The results are moist and flavorful. Even family members who don’t usually eat stuffing try some. There are never any leftovers. —Mary Kendall Appleton, WI (Country Woman)
Prep: 20 min. • Cook: 3 hours • Makes: 10 servings
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (141/2 oz.) chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 11/2 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 pkg. (14 oz.) seasoned stuffing cubes (about 9 cups)
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and celery over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, eggs, melted butter, sage and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients and mix lightly to combine.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 3-4 hours, stirring once.
Per serving 412 cal., 25g fat (7g sat. fat), 75mg chol., 1080mg sod., 37g carb. (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g pro.
Follow these tips to keep your sanity if you’re hosting Thanksgiving.