13 Ways to Cook With Beer
1. For tastier corned beef and cabbage, add half a bottle of brown beer to the pot in which the food is simmering.
2. For a more complex tasting dinner bread, replace the water in a basic egg-bread recipe with beer (but not light beer—you’ll need the full-calorie version!). Use these proportions as a starting point: 4 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons baking powder, 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 beaten eggs.
3. To make a quick marinade for pork tenderloin, mix together dark beer, molasses, herbs, onion, garlic, and freshly ground black pepper.
4. For Belgian-style steamed mussels, simmer the mussels in a covered pot with beer (lager or ale is best but avoid dark beers), clam broth, chopped tomatoes, garlic, onions, and fresh basil or parsley.
5. To make a marinade for steak fajitas, combine 6 ounces of beer, 1 drained can of seeded, deveined, and sliced jalapeño peppers (wear gloves when handling), and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Drop in a thinly sliced flank steak (1 1/2 pounds) and marinate for 4 to 8 hours. Grill or pan-fry the steak slices and serve with grilled or pan-fried sliced onions and peppers.
6. For a delicious corn side dish, simmer corn kernels in beer for 2 minutes, then drain and stir in butter and seasonings.
7. For Southwestern chicken fajitas, mix together 6 ounces beer and 1 can (15 ounces) red enchilada sauce. Add 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours. Grill or broil the chicken along with chunks of onions and seeded bell peppers. Slice the chicken and veggies and serve in warm tortillas with salsa and sour cream.
10. For a fun twist on boiled shrimp, use beer as the simmering liquid. Combine 6 ounces beer, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 4 minced garlic cloves, 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning in a deep, 12-inch-wide skillet. Add 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, then cover and simmer until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, for 5 minutes. Dust the shrimp with paprika before serving.