Have a boxed cake mix in your cupboard? Create a new taste sensation by adding a simple ingredient or two! For example, add rich flavor to a white cake mix with your favorite extract … mix coffee instead of water into chocolate cake mix for a mouthwatering mocha variation … or fold flaked coconut into a yellow cake batter for a tasty change of pace. The sky’s the limit, so be creative!
Before mixing the cake batter, try one of the following variations:
- Substitute coffee or your favorite carbonated beverage for the water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of grated lemon or orange peel.
- Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of vanilla, almond, orange, lemon, coconut, peppermint, or rum extract, or butter or maple flavoring.
After mixing the batter, stir in one of the following ingredients:
- 2 to 4 ounces of finely chopped semisweet or milk chocolate.
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts.
- 1 cup coarsely crushed cookies.
- 1 cup flaked coconut.
- 1/2 cup almond brickle baking chips or English toffee chips.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds.