Gravy separates good cooks from great ones, says Florida native Art Smith, Oprah Winfrey’s chef. “It can’t be hurried,” he says. “That’s the only way you get all the flavor, all the soul.” Make sure to include this gravy recipe in your holiday menu this season.
You Will Need
2 turkey sausage patties, torn in pieces
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
6 cups homemade stock (recipe below), heated
1/4 cup half-and-half (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
What to Do
1. In a large, heavy pan, fry sausage until browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Pour off some of the fat, add oil and vegetables and garlic.
4. Add flour; cook until flour turns brown.
5. Add heated homemade stock slowly, and stir.
6. Let simmer and thicken, then add half-and-half.
In a stockpot, put turkey neck and giblets, 2 tbs. bacon fat, 1 small chopped onion, 1 chopped celery stalk, 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 2 sprigs fresh thyme, 2 sprigs fresh chopped parsley, 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper and 1 bay leaf.
Simmer for 1-2 hours, skim and strain; reserve for gravy.