- 1 1/2 lbs. jumbo shrimp (2 lbs. if using shrimp with the heads on), deveined, shells left on
- 3 tbs. fresh lime juice, plus 1 large lime
- 3 tsp. coarse salt, preferably sea salt
- 3 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
How to make it:
- Rinse shrimp under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Place shrimp in large, nonreactive baking dish, sprinkle with lime juice and 1 tsp. each salt and white pepper, and toss to coat. Let shrimp marinate at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut lime lengthwise into 4 wedges. Place lime wedge in each of 4 shallow bowls or dishes, and add a mound (1/2 tsp.) of salt on one side of lime wedge and a mound (1/2 tsp.) of white pepper on the other. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to high. When ready to cook, brush grill grate with oil. Arrange shrimp, in their shells, on grate and grill, turning with tongs, until meat is firm and pink, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer shrimp to serving plates. To eat, squeeze lime wedge over salt and pepper and stir two or three times with chopsticks; peel shrimp and dip in lime mixture. Makes 4 servings.
Adapted from The Barbecue! Bible by Steven Raichlen (Workman)
More Recipe Ideas
Eater’s Digest: Recipes from America’s Top Grill Masters
Emeril Lagasse’s Homemade BBQ Sauce and Creole Seasoning
Emeril Lagasse’s Backyard Barbecued Chicken
Emeril Lagasse’s Eggplant and Peppers with Feta
Bobby Flay’s Wild Mushroom-Cheddar Burgers
Plus: 24 Delicious Recipes for the Grill