Yield: 1 qt.
• 1 large seedless (English) cucumber, unpeeled
• 1 tbs. kosher salt
• 2 large firm and sweet apples (such as Crispin, Rome, or Braeburn), unpeeled, cored, and halved
• 2 medium shallots
• ¼ jalapeño pepper
• ¾ cup cider vinegar
• ½ cup water
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 star anise pod
1. Prep cucumber: Cut off ends and discard; slice cucumber very thinly crosswise (using mandolin if possible). Put slices in colander; toss with salt. Let sit 20 minutes; rinse and drain.
2. Meanwhile, thinly slice apples, shallots, and jalapeño crosswise (using mandolin if possible). Transfer to bowl; set aside.
3. In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add cinnamon stick and anise pod; stir. Pour over apple mixture. Add cucumber and toss; let mixture sit at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, before serving. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks in mason jar or airtight container.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association