- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. unsalted butter
- 12 oz. (about 1 1/2 cups) assorted mushrooms (such as cremini, lobster, chanterelle, and stemmed shiitake), chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck (80 percent lean) or ground turkey (90 percent lean)
- 1 1/2 tbs. canola oil
- 4 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split; toasted, if desired
- Chipotle Ketchup (see below)
How to make it:
- Heat olive oil and butter in large sauté pan over high heat until almost smoking. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add shallot, season with salt and pepper, and cook until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and parsley and transfer to bowl.
- Divide meat into 4 equal portions (about 6 oz. each). Form each portion loosely into 3/4-inch-thick burger and make deep depression in center with your thumb. Season both sides of each burger with salt and pepper.
- Brush burgers with canola oil, and grill on high, turning once (for beef, 7 minutes for medium-rare or 10 minutes for well; for turkey, cook through, about 10 minutes). Top each with a slice of cheese, and use a basting cover to melt cheese during last minute of cooking.
- Place burgers on bun bottoms and top each with Chipotle Ketchup, if using, and large spoonful of mushrooms. Cover with bun tops and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Ingredients, Chipotle Ketchup:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 to 3 tbs. puréed, canned chipotle in adobo (depending on how spicy you prefer it)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
How to make it:
Whisk together ketchup, chipotle, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Sauce will keep for one week in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. Makes 1 cup.
Adapted from Bobby Flay’s Burgers, Fries & Shakes (Clarkson Potter)
More Recipe Ideas
Eater’s Digest: Recipes from America’s Top Grill Masters
Emeril Lagasse’s Homemade BBQ Sauce and Creole Seasoning
Emeril Lagasse’s Backyard Barbecued Chicken
Emeril Lagasse’s Eggplant and Peppers with Feta
Steven Raichlen’s Salt and Pepper Grilled Shrimp
Plus: 24 Delicious Recipes for the Grill