As might be expected, many nursing stories involve the unfortunate placement of objects in orifices where they most certainly don’t belong. This one is no different. Rebecca Lee, a registered nurse from New York who also runs a natural health remedies resource, tells the story of when a gentleman came into the emergency room complaining of extreme rectal pain and a “foreign body” lodged in his anus. It turned out to be the leg of a wooden stool. How it got there? He “fell onto it” (when it was upside down), and it got “stuck” inside him. “He asked us not to tell his wife,” Lee says matter of factly. These are the secrets emergency room staff won’t tell you.
It was supposed to make him feel better
The most gruesome of case of something getting stuck where it shouldn’t be, says A.J. Marsden, PhD, a former United States Army surgical nurse who now serves as assistant professor of human services and psychology at Beacon College in Leesberg, Florida, was one that she is certain was a mistake. “This middle-aged man was experiencing terrible kidney stones,” Dr. Marsden recounts. “He was in such terrible pain that he didn’t know what to else to do, so he inserted a glass tube into his urethra.” If that wasn’t bad enough, as he did so, he involuntarily kegeled, causing the tube to get sucked up further into his urethra. The sudden movement caused the tube to shatter in his urethra. Needless to say, he went straight to the ER.