1. Wash your face with an alcohol-free cleanser.
2. Open pores by applying a hot towel to the face, or shave after a hot shower.
3. Rub shaving cream in a circular, upward motion to lift hairs, so they’re easier to cut.
4. Go with the grain, moving from the side toward the nose, then to the chin. Next, go against the grain. Don’t shave one area more than three times — it irritates the skin.
5. Finish with a splash of cold water, then alcohol-free aftershave. Replace a razor after three shaves. Rinse it in hot water after use and store upright, never facedown — that helps bacteria grow.