21. To reduce damage to your tresses and add pouf to your do, dry your hair until 90 percent of the moisture is removed, then stop. Most people falsely believe they must use a hair dryer until their hair is bone-dry. Not true. The style should fall into place if your hair is healthy and well cut.
22. If you usually wear your hair in a ponytail, take it out for a few hours a day to give your hair a break. Also, try not to pull hair back too tightly. And never sleep with any sort of accessories in your hair.
23. Comb conditioner through your hair before hitting the pool to protect it from the harsh chemicals. When you finish with your swim, rinse with 1/4 cup apple cider mixed with 3/4 cup water to help cleanse hair, recommends Susie Galvez, author of Hello Beautiful: 365 Ways to Be Even More Beautiful, then follow with more conditioner. Do the same before hitting the beach.
24. Use moisturizing conditioner two to three times a week to combat fine, thin hair. Many people think conditioners will flatten thin hair, but actually, using a moisturizing conditioner a few times a week will help your hair block out humidity, which can make hair flat.
25. Use a gentle shampoo for oily hair. Ironically, harsh shampoos can actually lead to more oil because your scalp tries to compensate. Use a shampoo that’s gentle enough for everyday use.
26. Flip your head over, spray the underneath layers with hair spray, and shake out to instantly style your hair without rewashing and blow-drying.
27. Use styling gel correctly. Here’s how to get the hold you want without looking like you stepped out of a grease pit. Place a dime-size dollop of product in the palm of one hand, then dab a tiny amount onto the fingertips of your other hand, leaving most of the gel in your palm. Starting at the back of your head near your scalp line, work the gel from your fingertips into the root area of your hair and continue until the dollop disappears.
28. For an amazing haircut, ask your stylist to cut the ends of your hair so they’re slightly jagged instead of blunt. This provides extra body and texture.
29. If you’re trying to grow out your bangs, ask your hairdresser to add a few long layers around your face to help the bangs fade in as they grow.
30. Men: If you’re going bald, go short. One of the worst mistakes balding men make is the comb-over. A sexier, more modern style is the closely trimmed, Bruce Willis look. An added bonus: Your hair will be easy to maintain.
[sale-item img=”http://media.rd.com/rd/images/rdc/products/stealth-health-pd.jpg” title=”Stealth Health” price=”31.96″ link=”http://www.readersdigeststore.com/Stealth-Health/M/0762105208.htm?trkid=rdv_store”]