bigacis/Shutterstock Canned tuna has 22 grams of protein and just under 100 calories per 3-ounce serving. That makes tuna 94 percent protein, with the remaining 6 percent of calories coming from fat—namely heart-healthy omega-3s, which have been associated with weight loss. Choosing “light” tuna means you’re getting the lower mercury option because it’s skipjack tuna, which is a smaller fish than the albacore tuna in canned “white” tuna. In addition to being one of the healthiest high-protein foods, tuna is rich in vitamins and minerals like niacin, selenium, and vitamin B12. (Here’s something else to consider when you’re buying canned tuna.
Canned tuna is also versatile—mix it with a little Greek yogurt and fresh herbs, then spoon it into a whole wheat pita with plenty of fresh veggies to round out your meal with flavor and filling fiber. Or for a low carb option, try my quick and easy Tuna and Green Bean Salad with Artichoke Hearts.
eugena-klykova/Shutterstock Chicken breast is a top entry for a protein diet. It’s about 90 percent protein, providing 20 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat per 3-ounce serving. Bumping up the lean protein in your diet has been linked to long-term weight loss since it keeps you full and satisfied without packing on calories. Keep a couple of seasoning blends on hand to keep your chicken breasts from getting boring—like chili powder and cumin for a Mexican-inspired meal, or rosemary and garlic for an Italian take.