Summer Picnic: Kaleslawcourtesy of Fifty Shades of Kale
Coleslaw, healthy? Not when it’s drenched in full-fat mayonnaise. But this lighter version is rich in superfoods like kale, carrots, and colorful bell peppers. Serves 8
• 10-ounce bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped (about 10 cups)
• 6 carrots
• 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced or thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 cups kale-onaise (recipe on next slide)
1. Fit a food processor with a shredder attachment. Shred the kale and carrots and transfer both to a large bowl.
2. Add the bell pepper and Kale-onaise (see next slide for recipe) and toss well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight before serving.
Nutrition information per serving (1 cup): 187 calories, 3 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat (2 g saturated), 8 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 591 mg sodium
Better Barbecue: Beef Burger with Grilled Kalecourtesy of Fifty Shades of Kale
The grass-fed beef this recipe uses is lower in calories than your usual burgers—and it has a unique fat that may help prevent cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Serves 4
• 1 pound grass-fed ground sirloin
• 4 teaspoons barbecue or steak sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
• 4 large leaves kale
• 4 whole grain or whole-wheat burger buns
1. Place the sirloin, sea salt, barbecue sauce or steak sauce in a large bowl. Using your fingers, mix well and form the mixture into 4 patties.
2. Fire up the grill or heat a large grill pan over high heat. Grill the burgers 10 to 15 minutes, until they are brown on the outside but still slightly pink (but not translucent) on the inside.
3. Top each burger with 2 tablespoons of the blue cheese. Transfer the burgers to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
4. Add the kale to the grill for 2 to 3 minutes, turning often, until the kale is soft. Grill the buns halves for 30 seconds, cut side down. Remove from grill.
5. Assemble burgers, placing grilled kale on bottom bun with the burger and top bun on top. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving (1 burger topped with kale plus bun): 347 calories, 34 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat (6 g saturated), 82 mg cholesterol, 4g fiber, 642 mg sodium
More Kale Delightscourtesy of Fifty Shades of Kale
For additional kale recipes, plus cooking tips, nutrition secrets, and more, get the book Fifty Shades of Kale.