1. The early birds get the best produce.
2. Shop around before you choose. (The cheaper, better-looking lettuce may be a few stands away.)
3. Take your own bags and shop for the heavy stuff first (apples, potatoes) so it can go at the bottom and lighter produce can go on top.
4. Ask vendors for recipes.
5. Go ahead and leave home without your American Express card. (Bring cash.)
6. The bargains tend to be vegetables, not fruit.
7. Meat, eggs, dairy—usually eco-friendly and often overlooked.
8. Leave pets at home.
9. Don’t haggle.