3 4-inch (10-cm) white flour waffles with 3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 slices regular bacon
8 ounces (250 ml) orange juice
1 cup coffee
Total GL: 105
Total calories: 597
1 4-inch (10-cm) Multigrain Waffle with 1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 large eggs, scrambled
2 slices Canadian back bacon
1/2 medium grapefruit
1 cup coffee or tea
Total GL: 15
Total calories: 337
- Substituted fiber-rich whole grain waffles for the white flour waffles to lower the GL.
- Decreased the number of waffles from three to one.
- Added protein-rich eggs to replace the waffle calories.
- Decreased the amount of maple syrup for fewer calories and a lower GL.
- Substituted Canadian back bacon for regular bacon. It’s much lower in saturated fat—which, you’ll recall, contributes to insulin resistance.
- Replaced the orange juice with half a grapefruit. Remember, whole fruit has more fiber and a lower GL than fruit juice.
Substitute a slice of rye toast for the waffle.