12 Hidden Signs Your House Could Have Toxic Mold
When mold takes up residence in your house, your eyes, lungs, and skin will pay the rent. Here's what your body is telling you about mold.
Your house smells musty
We're not knocking your cleaning skills, but mold that grows undetected can pose a real health risk. This is especially true for the elderly, warns Dr. Parikh. "Their symptoms are generally similar, but all chronic conditions are worse in the elderly as their bodies are not as resilient as [those of] younger patients and usually have other medical problems which may interfere with or complicate the treatment," says Dr. Parikh. Here are 9 ways to get rid of mildew.
Your planter of begonias is leaking
"Exterior landscaping that is close to the home, as well as planters placed against exterior walls, can also lead to mold issues, especially for stucco homes," says Gregg Cantor, President and CEO of Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel. Moisture finds its way inside the walls and can cause mold growth in the drywall and insulation. "This type of mold growth can be particularly dangerous because it's rarely caught until the mold shows up on the interior of the wall, at which point the growth can be extensive and a danger to your health," says Cantor. Watch out for these other sneaky backyard dangers you need to be aware of.
Your attic insulation is lumpy
Wave off the spider webs and take a closer look at the insulation in your attic. "Attic insulation that is very lumpy and uneven-looking may mean a bigger problem," says John Bodrozic, Co-Founder of HomeZada. "The insulation could be in bad shape due to unforeseen roof leaks, which could also mean potential mold issues." If your attic has poor circulation or improper ventilation, it could create ideal conditions for mold growth.
Don't let mold build up—in very rare cases, mycotoxins have been linked to heart problems and memory issues. Even if your health isn't at risk, your walls, flooring, and appliances could be damaged. For those that do suffer from exposure to mold, it will need to be removed, says Dr. Parikh. "You will continue to react to it if you are allergic. It is especially troublesome for those who develop breathing problems from the mold, such as asthma." Next, check out the 13 silent signs that your house is an unhealthy place to live.