Some advice on beautiful rooms from House Beautiful:
1. Always group things in odd numbers.
2. Beware of using more than two pairs of anything in a room.
3. You never really know what a mirror will do until you hang it.
4. Pick your paint colors last.
5. Never, ever paint an entire room until you’ve lived with big sample boards of at least three possible colors for 24 hours.
6. Beige rooms are beautiful in sunlight but can die at night.
7. If you’re afraid of sitting on it, touching it, or breaking it, get rid of it.