Exploding smoke detector
Courtesy Jeff Miller AE Home Group
This story of a smoke detector turned out to be more of a smoke-effector, shares Jeff Miller, co-founder of AE Home Group, a team of local Maryland real estate agents who help buyers and sellers navigate the Baltimore real estate market. The previous owners of the house had moved out only one day earlier, but had not turned off their electricity or the air conditioning, recalls Miller. In fact, the air conditioning was set to high, which at first seemed like a good thing, because the day of their inspection happened to be the hottest and most humid day of the summer. Then, they started to smell smoke. “Rushing down to the basement we found that condensation caused the smoke detector to short out.” In fact, the smoke detector was now on fire. “Ironically, the smoke detector almost burned that house down,” says Miller. Here are the top secrets that your home inspector WON’T tell you.
Fifi’s final resting place
Courtesy WIN Home Inspection
Jamie Green, a Strategic-Partner of WIN Home Inspection, a Nashville-based home inspection franchise, was making his way on all-fours through a crawl space of a 70-year-old house. “Crawl spaces are generally pretty spooky because you never know what you’re going to find,” Green tells Reader’s Digest. Green stumbled on something strange as his hand touched down on something both bony and furry. Turns out, it was a stiff cat skeleton with fur still intact. Unfortunately, the home sellers now had an answer for what had happened to their missing feline friend who they’d believed had “run off” years earlier.