9 Quick Kitchen Cleaning Tips
Get quick tips for time-saving cleanup on your most-used kitchen tools.
A Blender Cleaning Secret
1. Family physician and author Jill Grimes has a great tip to clean the blender. ‘After you pour your drink, take the pitcher straight to the sink. Put in a little water and a drop of dish soap, put it back on the blender, and turn it on for 20 seconds. Rinse it out and you’re done.’
From Best You
2 Microwave Cleaning Shortcuts
2. The quickest way to clean a microwave oven is to place a handful of wet paper towels inside and run it on High for 3-5 minutes. You don’t need a science lesson to know that the steam from the towels will soften the grime. Once the paper towels cool down, use them to wipe the oven’s interior.
3. To deodorize, combine 1 cup of water with ½ cup of lemon juice in a measuring cup or bowl and heat it on high for 3–5 minutes. Let it stand in the microwave for 5–10 minutes before removing.
A Quick Coffee Pot Tip
4. The glass jug that comes with a coffeemaker can quickly develop a brown, blotchy haze – especially when you leave it on for long periods of time. For the quickest cure, you will need some ice, salt and a lemon. Fill the empty jug a quarter full of ice. Cut the lemon into quarters and squeeze two of the quarters into the jug. Add 2 tablespoons of salt. Swirl the mixture in the jug for 2 minutes and the inside surface will quickly come clean. Rinse under the tap.
Clean a Cast-Iron Pan
5. Most cooks know that you should never use liquid soap on a cast-iron pan and never scrub it with anything abrasive if you want to maintain its well-oiled nonstick surface. So how do you clean it? Use salt. If the pan will not rinse clean with water and a soft dishcloth, rub it with a few tablespoons of salt and a paper towel, and rinse. Then replenish the oil film by coating the inside surface with a dab of cooking oil.
A Coffee Grinder Trick
6. Run a small handful of uncooked white rice through the coffee grinder, especially if you use it for grinding anything other than coffee beans. Most coffee experts advise against using your machine for grinding dry spices since the smells from grinding ingredients, such as cinnamon sticks and dried basil, are nearly always impossible to get out. — How to Clean Just About Everything
Cheese Grater Tip
7. Keep a clean pastry brush handy for removing every last remnant of grated food left behind in the tiny grates. It works like a charm on both sides of the grater.
Disinfect the Garbage Disposal
8. Deep clean and deodorize a waste disposal unit by grinding ice cubes made with half vinegar, half water.
Coffee Cup Saver
9. Remove coffee stains from china cups by scrubbing them with equal parts vinegar and salt.