10 Best Bed Quilts for Cozier Nights
These cozy bed quilts are the ideal blend of traditional comfort and modern style.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
The best bed quilts offer lightweight layering and cozy fabrics that turn any bed into a dream come true. They’re some of the best warm blankets to add to your bed piled on top of flannel sheets in the winter. In summer, they add just the right touch of soft weight on top of cooling sheets to help lull you into a deep sleep.
What to look for in the best bed quilts
“Focus on the way the quilt’s fabric feels,” explains Liz Toombs, an interior design expert and owner of PDR Interiors. “I want blankets that are soft and will create a cozy environment for clients. Avoid anything that is scratchy or styles that will look messy. This detracts from the look of the room.”
Materials like cotton, bamboo viscose and velvet make the best quilts. Liz suggests choosing styles that can easily be washed or spot-cleaned at home and match an overall design scheme. For a modern look, she urges clients to “Go for neutral colors and textures. Use scalloped edges and detailing for texture and layer with throw blankets. Stick with traditional quilt patterns, diamond or plaid and colors like white, gray, navy or other soft tones.”
How to wash a quilt properly
If your new bed quilt is machine washable, it can likely be thrown in a large laundry machine on a gentle cycle. Be sure to use mild soap, like one of the best laundry detergents for sensitive skin, to not damage the fabric and colors.
Can quilts go in the dryer?
Even if a quilt can be machine washed, it’s typically best to line dry it. Poly and cotton blends are often sturdy enough to withstand some time in the dryer on a tumble-dry cycle, though they should never be allowed to become hot or warm to the touch. That’s a sign they’ve spent too long in the dryer or the heat setting was too high. Fabric fibers, especially in delicate quilts, can start to break down under these conditions.
What is the best type of quilt batting?
The best quilts of all styles have batting—a layer of insulation between the quilt top and back of your quilt. The best quilt batting is a matter of personal preference, with many preferring all-natural materials like cotton. Synthetic blends and polyester bases also do an excellent job of trapping and distributing heat, and they’re also known for holding quilt stitches particularly well.
We picked the best bed quilts based on texture, ease of maintenance and overall value. Real customer reviewers were also considered. All the quilts on our list received nearly perfect average ratings with at least four stars as a minimum requirement for consideration. Ease of machine washing and stain removal were also important factors. Based on our careful review, these are the best bed quilts for every type of lifestyle.
- Best overall bed quilt: Brooklinen Lightweight Quilt Set
- Best budget bed quilt: Ultrasonic Reversible Lightweight Quilt Set
- Best splurge bed quilt: Saatva Organic Velvet Diamond Quilt
- Best traditional bed quilt: The Pioneer Woman Vintage Star Quilt Set
- Best bed quilt for pet owners: Mellanni Oversized Velvet Quilt Set
- Best plaid bed quilt: Bedsure Christmas Quilt Set
- Best colorful bed quilt:
- Best eco-friendly bed quilt: Quince Organic Bamboo Viscose Channel Quilt Set
- Best warm bed quilt: Bedsure Quilted Comforter Duvet Insert
- Best summer bed quilt: Parachute Home Linen Box Quilt
Best overall bed quilt
Brooklinen Lightweight Quilt Set
The modern Brooklinen Lightweight Quilt Set offers the perfect combination of generations-old quilting techniques with trendy in-the-moment design. Available in four neutral colors and two versatile sizes, these ultra soft and light quilt sets are a top-reviewed 100% cotton choice. Thousands of Brooklinen customers call these the best bed quilts on the market thanks to their stylish play on a beloved, traditional style.
Each set includes the bed quilt and two matching shams, each hand-stitched by skilled artisans. The quilt alone takes an eye-popping six days to make. The set is so low maintenance that it can be machine-washed with most detergents. A midweight feel makes it great for chilly winter mornings in bed and balmy summer nights with your best cooling pillow.
- The ideal combination of old-world artisan quilting and modern design touches
- Four neutral color options
- Queen and king sizes
- 100% cotton construction
- Handmade by artisans
- Can be machine washed
- Requires either line drying or gentle tumble-dry cycles, which can add some time to your laundry routine
Best budget bed quilt
Ultrasonic Reversible Lightweight Quilt Set
Adding this Ultrasonic Reversible Lightweight Quilt Set to any bed in your home is a surefire win—and it’s affordable. It comes in 25 popular colors ranging from soft, earthy neutrals to eye-catching gem tones. The geometric tight-quilted pattern offers timeless appeal and the most fuss-free maintenance of any of the best bed quilts on our list.
Better yet, the brand’s new ultrasonic processing makes both the quilts and included shams more durable than ever, so these pieces are ideal for busy households. Standing up to pets and kids with ease, the poly-blend material makes it a breeze to pop into typical laundry machines.
A reversible design offers two takes on the same color palette, a feature that Amazon reviewers can’t stop raving about. “It’s ideal if you’re one of those hot sleepers like me,” writes verified Amazon purchaser Kevin L. Reed. “I love that it’s also reversible so I can use the lighter color if I want to change things up.”
- Budget-friendly at about $35 for a queen-size set
- Over 13,000 Amazon ratings with a 4.4-star average
- Comes in 25 colors
- Three sizes including twin, full/queen and king
- Machine washable
- Tight-night ultrasonic quilt
- Reversible design
- Made of a polyester-blend fabric that may not be suitable for those who prefer all-natural materials
- Some reviewers note the king size runs slightly short
Best splurge bed quilt
Saatva Organic Velvet Diamond Quilt
Cocoon yourself in luxury with this Saatva Organic Velvet Diamond Quilt, a shoo-in for one of the best sleep products of all time. It’s made of 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton velvet with a layer of organic cotton batting that offers soft, feel-good snuggling. Percale cotton backing adds durability and softness on the underside of the quilt, while a one-inch quilt stitch brings a romantic charm to the topside.
It comes in queen and king sizes and either a soft taupe shade or rich gray tone. This quilt definitely looks and feels like it belongs on the beds of royalty, and layers over your best organic cotton sheets with ease.
- Made of luxurious organic cotton velvet
- 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton layers
- Soft percale backing
- Soft, neutral taupe or rich gray color offerings
- One-inch quilt stitching for added elegance
- Can be gently machine washed or spot-cleaned
- Only available in two sizes and two colors
- Shams aren’t included
Best traditional bed quilt
The Pioneer Woman Vintage Star Quilt Set
Whether you’re in love with the farmhouse decor trend or want to add vintage appeal to your bed, this Pioneer Woman Vintage Star Quilt Set is a happiness-sparking choice. The playful ditsy print, joyful color palette and scalloped-edge shams make it a perfect nod to classic Americana. A Yo-Yo appliqué and vermicelli quilting suggest a much more expensive price point, but this Walmart must-buy is surprisingly cheap.
The all-cotton face and polyester reverse also keep laundry days simple—just pop it in the laundry machine. It can be line or tumble dried, and the colors promise not to bleed or fade. Choose from queen- or king-size sets for your guest bedroom, and then watch the compliments roll in.
- Traditional vermicelli quilting, floral print and appliqués
- Affordable Walmart pricing for a surprisingly complex piece
- Cotton face and polyester reverse
- Cheerful color palette
- Comes with two scalloped-edge shams
- Available in full/queen and king sizes
- Machine washable
- Only one color offering
Best bed quilt for pet owners
Mellanni Oversized Velvet Quilt Set
This affordable Mellanni Oversized Velvet Quilt Set is one of Amazon’s best bed quilts sets. With over 17,000 ratings and a nearly-perfect 4.6-star average, it’s a bestseller that reviewers can’t stop gushing about. The plush feel, ease of maintenance and budget-friendly price point are among the most popular features. It also comes in eight versatile sizes and dozens of attractive colors.
The best part? This quilt pattern is embossed rather than stitched, a feature that makes this a very durable option for those with pets or children. You won’t have to worry about letting Fido curl up at the foot of your bed with this fuzzy wonder.
“I love that there’s no actual threads on the design, since I have a dog with nails that has torn up all my other blankets,” writes verified Amazon purchaser Lele. “I love the color, and it doesn’t wrinkle. If you’re on the fence, I’d say go for it!”
- Embossed quilting design promises a snag-free sleep—even with pets and kids
- Machine washable lightweight velvet
- Comes in dozens of colors
- Eight available sizes
- Easy maintenance
- Affordable price point
- Some reviewers report the colors are actually somewhat more muted than Amazon pictures show
Best plaid bed quilt
Bedsure Christmas Quilt Set
Get in the snuggliest spirit with this Bedsure Christmas Quilt Set. It’s offered in several year-round cabin-ready plaids. These classic prints with Christmas-themed undersides transition smoothly from back-to-school dorm bedding to the ideal fa-la-la-all asleep helper when the holidays are near.
The quilts come in three sizes, five neutral plaid colors and rich Christmas scenes and boast over 1,300 Amazon ratings. Made of anti-static brushed microfiber, they’re also a cinch to machine wash. The colors won’t bleed or fade, and reviewers note that it’s easy enough for even “people who can’t do laundry” to keep in tip-top shape.
“I enjoyed surprising my guests with this Christmas quilt,” writes Cheryl K., a verified Amazon purchaser. “After the holidays were over, I reversed it to the cute winter scene with trees. I used the king on a high queen bed and it worked nicely! I will definitely buy more quilts from this company.”
- Versatile neutral plaids and cheerful Christmas prints
- Reversible design makes it ideal for year-round cabin-ready use
- Over 1,300 Amazon ratings and a near-perfect 4.8-star average
- Brushed microfiber for ultimate softness
- Easy to machine wash
- Affordable price point
- We wish a handful of winter white and lighter color schemes were available
Best colorful bed quilt
eirloom-quality quilt comes in a classic patchwork pattern displayed on 100% cotton uppers, lowers and batting. The soft, nature-inspired tones work nicely against both traditional and modern bedroom styles. Classic ticking stripes on back give it a Grandma-made-this type of feeling that your guests will fawn over.
- Nature-inspired patchwork of colors including soft greens, pinks and blues
- 100% cotton construction
- Classic ticking strips on the back
- Looks like a family heirloom piece that has been handed down through the generations
- Available in twin, full/queen and king sizes
- Matching shams are available
- Must be line dried
- Only one color offering
Best eco-friendly bed quilt
Quince Organic Bamboo Viscose Channel Quilt Set
The Quince Organic Bamboo Viscose Channel Quilt Set feels like a hearty dose of sustainable luxury at a price that’s almost too good to be true. But don’t worry—the price is real, and that means you should run to scoop this quilt set up before it sells out.
Available in three classic neutral shades, this silky soft quilt set offers a bold, modern twist. Channel-quilting design lends a fresh, updated look to beds of all types while feel-good 100% organic bamboo viscose promises temperature regulation and a satin-like finish.
Plus, you won’t lose sleep thinking about the environmental impact your bedding has. This eco-friendly choice is made of 100% OEKO-TEX-certified fibers.
- Made of 100% OEKO-TEX-certified organic bamboo viscose
- Sustainable bamboo production and harvesting
- Available in three colors and two sizes
- Ultra-supple silky feel
- Channeled quilting style
- Modest price point
- This luxurious fabric is prone to snagging, so it’s best not to have pets or jewelry in the bed
Best warm bed quilt
Bedsure Quilted Comforter Duvet Insert
The depths of winter are no match for the versatile Bedsure Quilted Comforter Duvet Insert. With over 46,000 Amazon ratings and a nearly-perfect 4.7-star average, it’s a bestseller and also one of the best alternatives to down comforters that money can buy. Available in eight colors and six sizes, this quilt’s classic box-stitching promises even heat distribution. It won’t brunch or curl up and can be used on its own or layered under a duvet cover.
Reviewers rave about how easy it is to machine wash. “It washes and dries beautifully,” says Alan Bonifay, a verified Amazon purchaser. “We use it as a comforter all by itself. It’s still snow-white and like new after several washes. It’s super comfortable and cozy while being really lightweight!”
- The thickness and texture of a winter comforter in a quilted format
- An Amazon bestseller with over 46,000 ratings and a nearly-perfect 4.7-star average
- Available in eight colors
- Six popular sizes
- Classic box stitching evenly distributes heat
- Easy to machine wash
- The bulky polyester fill of this quilt means you may need a larger washing machine to handle queen and king sizes
Best summer bed quilt
Parachute Home Linen Box Quilt
Made of a 100% garment-dyed linen front and a 100% cotton back, the Parachute Home Linen Box Quilt is the ideal summer bed quilt. Both sides offer exceptional breathability and soft-to-the-touch natural fabrics that help regulate temperate.
Choose from seven modern neutral colors and three versatile sizes, and then rest well knowing it can be machine washed. The 100% polyester batting interior is easy to throw in the dryer, making this one of the rare quilts that can be both machine washed and dried without worry.
“I really wanted a light quilt for hot Los Angeles summers, and this worked out perfectly,” details reviewer Yasmin. “I like that the inside material is smooth. And it looks great on the bed!”
- Breathable, lightweight linen and cotton make this ideal for hot weather use
- Machine washable
- Can also be machine dried thanks to polyester batting
- Comes in seven modern neutral colors
- Sizes twin, full/queen and king
- The product name suggests an all-linen exterior, but only the top is made of linen
- Can wrinkle after washing, and a light iron may be necessary after laundering
- Liz Toombs, interior design expert and owner of PDR Interiors
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.