7 Best Vacuums For Tile Floors You Can Buy Right Now
Simplify your cleaning by investing in one of the best vacuums for tile floors that's powerful enough for messes but gentle enough for the surface.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
Tile is an excellent option for flooring for a number of reasons. It is durable, resilient, doesn’t absorb dust, resists stains and is relatively easy to clean and maintain. However, learning how to clean tile floors is a little different than other types of flooring, so invest in one of the best vacuum cleaners for tile floors.
“Most vacuums work for both tile and carpet, but in a home full of tile flooring, make sure the model focuses on suction, has a soft brush roll, ample filtration and is easily maneuverable so it won’t damage the tiles,” explains Kathy Cohoon with Two Maids.
While carpeted floors withstand heavier models, tile floors may be more delicate and need something more lightweight. “When in doubt, handle with care no matter what model to clean tiles without causing any chips or cracks,” Cohoon adds. Taking into consideration expert input, user reviews and our own personal testing, we rounded up seven of the best vacuums for tile floors.
Best vacuums for tile floors
Dyson Ball Animal 2
Mary Farrell, home & appliances writer for Consumer Reports, selected the Dyson Ball Animal 2 as one of the best vacuums for tile floors and one of the most dependable vacuum cleaners overall. She explains that it performed very well in Consumer Reports’ bare flooring tests, making it a good choice for kitchens and bathrooms and also one of the best vacuums for hardwood floors.
“Its hose suction is among the strongest of all the models we’ve tested, and it also does particularly well at capturing all the dust it picks up, which is very helpful if you’re an allergy sufferer,” she points out.
- Consumer Reports chose the Dyson Ball Animal as the best overall vacuum for tile floors
- Strong hose suction that efficiently captures dust
- Engineered for larger homes with pets
- Over 4,300 Amazon ratings with a 4.5-star average
- A little on the heavy side at 17 pounds
Eureka Power Speed Vacuum
For those on a budget looking for a powerful vacuum for tile floors, Cohoon recommends the under-$100 Eureka Power Speed, an upright bagless vacuum. She notes that the vacuum comes with wheels and is lightweight, making it easy to maneuver on tile, hard surfaces and other places you should vacuum around the house. It even has a “bare floors” mode, perfect for tile floors. “The filter is washable and the model comes in a unique blue color,” she adds.
The vacuum is a favorite of Amazon shoppers, with over 23,000 perfect five-star ratings and high scores in the categories of quality, performance, suction, ease of assembly and value. It is also a favorite with pet owners and one of the best vacuum cleaners for hardwood.
- A powerful vacuum, offering excellent value under $100
- Washable filter
- Over 34,000 Amazon ratings with a 4.4-star average
- Some users note it is a tad on the loud side
Dyson Cyclone V15 Detect
Looking for a cordless vacuum that gets the job of cleaning tile floors done fast and efficiently? Cohoon recommends the Dyson Cyclone V15 Detect. The rechargeable vacuum has the highest suction power of any Dyson vacuum, with a maximum of 240 watts. “This is significantly higher than other popular Dyson models,” she points out.
The vacuum is feature-heavy and includes lots of bells and whistles, like an anti-tangle hair screw, crevice tools, multiple cleaning heads and Dyson’s latest laser detection technology, “allowing you to see the dust and dirt that the vacuum is picking up.” It is also a useful option for anyone with cats or dogs, as the vacuum was engineered to pick up pet hair and debris. Each charge offers approximately 60 minutes of vacuuming with a countdown clock.
Our Shopping Editor Stephanie Hope has used the Dyson Detect for over three years and still loves it. “The suction on this vacuum is unbeatable. I quickly vacuum my hardwood floors, rugs, carpet and tile floors without issues. I love the LED light that shows me where dust and dirt may lurk to ensure the cleanest home.”
- Feature-heavy with lots of bells and whistles including tools and cleaning heads
- The best vacuum for tile floors, according to experts and reviewers
- Features the most powerful suction of all Dyson vacuums
- Convenient LED light detects hard-to-see dust
- Over 1,000 Amazon ratings with a 4.5-star average
- Not as budget-friendly as many of the other vacuums on our list
Best cordless/stick vacuum
Samsung Jet 90
Looking for a powerful cordless vacuum that costs less than a Dyson but still offers a lot of power for the price? Cohoon recommends the Samsung Jet 90, a lightweight rechargeable vacuum that weighs just over six pounds and offers 200 watts of power. “Special features include a HEPA filter as well as a 60-minute battery life,” she says. The five-layer filtration system promises to capture 99.999% of allergens and dust particles, making it an excellent cleaning product for anyone with allergies.
Verified reviewers Joseph & Lydia maintain it is one of the best vacuum cleaners for hardwood, tiles and carpets. It is “exceptionally maneuverable” and “cleans right up to the edge of the wall.” They also appreciate that it comes equipped with multiple brush heads and cleaning tools. Consumer Reports also gives this appliance major cred, selecting it as one of the best stick vacuums of 2023.
- Selected by Consumer Reports as one of the best cordless/stick vacuums of 2023
- Lots of useful features and accessories, including brush heads
- Includes a five-layer HEPA filtration system
- Over 600 Amazon ratings with a 4.5-star average
- Pricier but users maintain it is worth the investment
Best for pet hair
Bissell Crosswave Pet Pro
Pet owners are wild over this vacuum-slash-mop for pet hair and dander with 700 watts of power that quickly cleans up other types of pet messes and things you shouldn’t clean up with a traditional vacuum. The multi-surface cleaning tool is effective on most hard surfaces, including tile, hardwood, laminate and linoleum, and even area rugs and carpets.
The CrossWave Pet Pro comes with a tangle-free brush roll and pet hair strainer, so pet hair doesn’t wrap around the brush roll and also separates debris from the liquid. It also boasts two-tank technology—one for clean water and formula and the other reserved for all the dirty water and debris it sucks up, making your tank less likely to clog, which would shorten the life of your vacuum.
- The best vacuum for tile floors designed for pet owners
- Features a tangle-free brush roll and pet hair strainer
- Reasonably priced
- Over 16,000 Amazon five-star ratings
- Those with super dirty floors will have to clean out the dirty water more frequently
Roborock S8 Pro Ultra
In case you were wondering whether robot vacuums are worth it, the answer is yes. The Roborick S8 Pro Ultra is the Rolls Royce of robot vacuums and even with its steep price tag, over 1,200 Amazon users rated it with a perfect five stars. The powerhouse features a 6-in-1, zero-maintenance cleaning system, meaning that it self-cleans with the included dock.
It automatically mops, drys, empties dust and refills the tank for up to seven weeks. It also features innovative 3D mapping, self-identifying different types of flooring and adjusting settings automatically.
The gadget fully charges in four hours, offering up to a whopping 180 minutes of cleaning per charge. Controllable via a free app and also the user’s voice, it is one of the smartest robot vacuums we’ve come across.
One five-star reviewer, Apurva, writes that they owned “many other robot vacuums in the past” before discovering this “perfect vacuum.” “The mopping feature is amazing,” they write, adding that it is easy to use and the accompanying “app is the best app” of any robot vacuum.
- The smartest, most innovative and most efficient robot vacuums for tile floors
- Fantastic features, including 3D mapping, self-cleaning, filling and emptying capabilities
- Lots of cleaning time per charge
- Available in white and black
- 1,600 Amazon ratings with a 4.4-star average
- One of the most expensive robot vacuums available
Shark Vertex Ultra Light
Cohoon recommends the Shark Vertex Ultra Light model as the best handheld vacuum for tile floors. It offers up to 60 minutes of run time and comes equipped with duo clean power fins, a self-cleaning brush roll and LED lights. “The wand is flexible and allows the user to bend around to clean under furniture,” she says. There is also a trigger to pull to increase the suction for those stubborn areas around the house.
But one of the best features that set this model apart from the rest of the best vacuum cleaners for tile floors is that the vacuum also transforms into a handheld vacuum for more unconventional purposes, like vacuuming the crumbs off the keyboard or clearing the lint filter of a dryer.
Amazon shopper and pet owner Mike maintains that he likes his Shark better than any Dyson, “and it cost half as much.” He adds that the Vertex technology “of having a solid, soft roller in front is amazing at cleaning, even the dust off” hard surfaces. “I thought I wanted to be able to turn off the front headlights, but I love seeing the absolutely dust-free/furless paths I am leaving on my floors.”
- The best 2-in-1 vacuum for tiles floors: A cordless vacuum that transforms into a handheld
- Equipped with lots of bells and whistles
- Half the price of a Dyson
- Nearly 3,000 Amazon ratings with a 4.4-star average
- Some people note the collection canister could be bigger
What to consider when buying the best vacuums for tile floors
When shopping for a vacuum for tile floors, Cohoon says to look at its suction power, type of brush roll, filtration system, maneuverability, accessories and noise level.
Types of vacuums for tile floors
There are a few types of vacuums for tile floors.
- Upright: Cohoon explains that upright vacuums are incredibly versatile and work on a variety of floor types including vinyl and tile. “These are best for smaller spaces,” she says.
- Canister: There are also canister vacuums, which are “lightweight and easy to maneuver” and “come with a long base.”
- Cordless: Cordless vacuums are generally upright, lightweight vacuums with a rechargeable battery. They conveniently clean from room to room without worrying about power outlets or cords.
- Robot: A robot vacuum is “very convenient” because “these clean on their own,” says Cohoon. However, if your home has various levels or elevated, sunken rooms, you will have to manually move the robot around.
How we found the best vacuums for tile floors
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Is it better to sweep or vacuum tile floors?
According to Cohoon, if you invest in a tile-safe vacuum, it will be more “effective and convenient” for cleaning tile floors. “But if you do not have a tile-safe vacuum, you should opt for sweeping,” she says. Always keep in mind the items you should never vacuum as well.
How often do you have to vacuum tile floors?
In general, it’s recommended to vacuum tile floors at least once a week to remove dirt, dust and debris. “If you have pets that shed a lot or a high-traffic area, you may need to vacuum more frequently,” says Cohoon.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.