8 Best Cooling Blankets for Hot Sleepers
Hot sleepers, rejoice. These cooling blankets will help you stay cool and comfortable in the heat of the night.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
For those who toss off even lightweight comforters in the middle of the night because of excessive sweating, a cooling blanket just may be the answer. In fact, you may want to pair it with cooling sheets and cooling pillows.
“Scientific studies show that we sleep better when it’s cooler,” says Dr. Smita Patel, DO, FAASM. “Instead of cooling down the entire house, though, a cooling blanket is more economically-friendly. Also, many people don’t like to sleep with the air conditioning on because it creates a dry, uncomfortable environment to breathe in. A cooling blanket, especially when paired with a cooling mattress and a cooling mattress pad, is a popular option all year round for hot sleepers and those experiencing night sweats. There are even cooling weighted blankets for those who like weighted blankets.”
According to Dr. Patel, cooling blankets work by absorbing the heat from the body while asleep, then releasing it rather than trapping it and turning the bed into a sauna. Fabrics like cotton, linen, bamboo and eucalyptus wick moisture away. Also, cooling blankets featuring special technology like Outlast®, originally designed for NASA, and 37.5®, which enhances athletes’ performance by keeping their core at an ideal temperature and relative humidity of 37.5%.
The best cooling blankets
- Best overall: Sleep Number True Temp Blanket
- Best value: Dangtop Cooling Blanket
- Best bamboo: Cozy Earth Bamboo Blanket
- Best linen: Brooklinen Linen Quilt
- Best cotton: Pottery Barn SleepSmart Basketweave Blanket
- Best eucalyptus: Buffy Breeze Comforter
- Best lightweight: Slumber Cloud Lightweight Comforter
- Best sustainable: Casper Down Alternative Duvet
Best overall cooling blanket
Sleep Number True Temp Blanket
Sleep Number has always used technology to help people sleep better, and their popular True Temp Blanket is powered by 37.5®. This special technology adapts to help keep your temperature just right throughout the night. Its active-particle cooling system also attracts and removes moisture to resist heat and humidity buildup.
“For hot sleepers, that means no more sweating,” according to a five-star reviewer. Another five-star reviewer calls it “by far the most comfortable blanket we have ever owned,” and another happy customer says it “fixed my hot flashes.” Speaking of, these are other cooling products for hot sleepers to finally get some rest.
- Hypoallergenic for sensitive sleepers
- Standard 100 by Oeko-Tex certification ensures no harmful substances
- Perfect for all seasons
- 100-night sleep trial
- Only available in two sizes
Bamboo Cooling Blanket
This value-priced Dangtop cooling blanket has nearly 4,000 five-star reviews on Amazon praising the fact that it actually works. “How can being wrapped in a blanket make you cooler?” asks reviewer Michael J. “This unbelievable piece of bedding is the answer that I’ve been looking for almost all of my life. When I sleep, I always need to use a blanket to get comfortable. Usually, at about 2:00 am I have to toss said blanket because of excessive sweating. Add two hours, and I have to reacquire the blanket once again. This cooling blanket streamlines the process as it dissipates all of the heat.” Made of 100% bamboo fabric, it feels cool to the touch and has a high heat capacity to keep hot sleepers comfortable all night. If you’re on the fence about it, our review will have you convinced in no time.
- High quality for an affordable price
- Available in eight colors and patterns
- Four sizes
- Some reviewers report initial shedding
Cozy Earth Bamboo Blanket
Made from a 100% premium bamboo fabric shell, this bamboo blanket from Oprah’s favorite bedding company lets shoppers sleep two to three degrees cooler by sleeping with at least 50% less humidity. Five-star reviewer K.M. says, “The breathability does keep the temperature cooler, and I am sleeping better.” Another five-star reviewer, Alexandra M, says, “Best sleep ever—it’s comfortable and keeps me cool. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night hot.” Our editors are huge fans of Cozy Earth products, as seen in this review about their bamboo sheets.
- Super soft and cooling bamboo fabric
- 100-night free trial
- Ten-year warranty
- Available in four sizes
- Free shipping and free returns
Brooklinen Linen Quilt
Linen is a naturally cooling fabric, making it an excellent choice for a good night’s sleep. This linen quilt from Brooklinen, the company renowned for its linen bedding, is stonewashed so it’s especially soft, making it a fantastic addition to a linen closet. Five-star reviewer Summer B. raves, “I’m no longer sweating thanks to the linen quilt.” Paola E. also gives it five stars, agreeing it’s “actually cooling for hot sleepers.”
- 100% linen, made from high-quality European Flax
- Stonewashed for irresistible softness
- Five color options
- 365-day return/exchange policy
- A pricier blanket
- $9.95 return fee
Pottery Barn SleepSmart Basketweave Blanket
This pretty woven blanket is made of 80% cotton mixed with 20% of the innovative 37.5® performance yarns that keep you cool all night long. Its temperature-regulating technology moves heat away before sweat can form, minimizing swings in body temperature so you stay asleep longer. It’s soft and lightweight and pairs well with other bedding in Pottery Barn’s new SleepSmart line, which are considered some of the best bed sheets.
- Comfort personalized to each sleeper’s need for warmth
- Uses active volcanic minerals
- White glove service available to deliver directly to the bedroom
- 30-day return policy
- Only available in one color
Buffy Breeze Comforter
This soft, temperature-regulating comforter is woven from and filled with Buffy’s signature eucalyptus fabric—sustainably-sourced lyocell—to keep hot sleepers cool and dry all night. Five-star reviewer Arianne S. writes that she bought it for her husband, who always sleeps hot: “He loves it, even more than I could have anticipated. It keeps him at the perfect temperature (cool), and it is so soft and so beautiful. I don’t even hate that he refuses to put a duvet cover on it.” Jessie B. says, “The light and comfortable comforter helps me sleep through the night without getting sweaty.”
- Plant-based fibers are biodegradable and compostable
- Seven-night free sleep trial
- 50-night return policy
- Sustainably harvested from eucalyptus trees
- Only available in one color
Slumber Cloud Lightweight Comforter
Thanks to its patented, NASA-approved ClimaDry by Outlast® technology, this lightweight comforter provides a down-like feel while regulating heat and moisture during sleep. Verified buyer Jenna A, who struggles with night sweats and being a hot sleeper, gives it five stars, calling it “Awesome!” Stephen S. also gives it five stars, saying, “Fantastic and lightweight. Helps me keep cooler than other comforters I’ve tried.”
- 100% cotton outer cover for soft, lightweight breathable comfort
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified
- 60-night sleep trial
- Free shipping
- Financing available
- Only available in white
Casper Down Alternative Duvet
This down-alternative duvet is perfect for those who want the feel of down comforters without the down. To keep you from sleeping too hot, the duvet’s shell is made from Tencel lyocell, a highly breathable and durable fiber made from sustainably sourced wood pulp.
Inspired by performance outerwear, the sewn-in chamber design hugs your body like your favorite puffy jacket. It also keeps the fill fluffy and in place, so you stay cozy all night. Good for the planet as well as for hot sleepers, it’s filled with recycled polyester from old water bottles, so it’s a win-win.
- 100% recycled polyester fill
- Free returns within 30 days
- One-year limited warranty
- Free, no-contact delivery
- Free shipping excludes Alaska, Hawaii, Yukon Territory, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut
What to look for when buying the best cooling blankets
When buying the best cooling blankets, there are several factors to consider:
- Cooling technology: Look for blankets that incorporate specific cooling technologies, like Outlast® and 37.5®, that regulate body temperatures.
- Material: Opt for cooling blankets made from lightweight and breathable materials such as bamboo, cotton, eucalyptus or linen. These fabrics offer better airflow and moisture-wicking properties to stay cool and comfortable all night.
- Breathability: Ensure that the blanket allows for proper air circulation for optimal cooling while asleep. Look for blankets with an open-weave or mesh construction to promote airflow, preventing heat and moisture from trapping inside.
- Moisture-wicking properties: Blankets with moisture-wicking capabilities help absorb and evaporate sweat and moisture quickly. This feature enhances comfort by keeping the sleeper dry and preventing the buildup of heat.
- Size and weight: Consider the size and weight of the blanket based on personal preferences. Some people prefer lightweight blankets that provide a gentle, cooling effect, while others may prefer heavier blankets for a more substantial feel.
How we found the best cooling blankets
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Do cooling blankets really work?
Yes, cooling blankets are effective in providing a cooler and more comfortable sleep experience for hot sleepers or people who live in warm climates. Cooling blankets feature materials and technologies that help regulate body temperature and dissipate heat.
Do you use a top sheet with a cooling blanket?
Using a top sheet with cooling blankets boils down to personal preference. However, to maximize the cooling properties of a cooling blanket, one may want to forgo the top sheet. This allows the sleeper to experience the full benefits of the cooling technology.
What is the best cooling blanket for hot climates?
The best cooling blanket for hot climates varies depending on user preference. Bamboo fabric features natural-breathable, moisture-wicking properties and the ability to regulate body temperature. Linen is a natural fabric that is also highly breathable and helps dissipate heat, making it a popular choice for hot weather. Other top choices for hot climates are cooling weighted blankets, microfiber cooling blankets and gel-infused versions.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.
- Dr. Smita Patel, Founder and Medical Director, iNeuro Institute