8 Most Common Electric Mistakes Found in Home Inspections
Any number of problems can be found in a home inspection, but these electrical issues should not be overlooked.
This one is easy to spot even if you aren’t a trained home inspector. Ungrounded receptacles are outlets with just two slots and no hole beneath them for the ground wire. Two-prong receptacles simply are not safe and should be upgraded to minimize the risk of fire. Here are some more things your electrician wishes you knew.
Double-tapped circuit breakers
A double-tapped circuit breaker occurs when two wires are connected to one circuit breaker in a panel board. Most circuit breakers are designed for just one wire, and connecting two wires where they are not supposed to be can lead to loose connections, arcing currents, and potential fires. Mistakes like this one can lead to some big electrical fails. Here are our favorite electrical mistakes you can’t help but laugh at.
Putting the wrong covers on outdoor receptacles
On outdoor receptacles, flat covers provide protection only when a receptacle isn’t in use, but it’s not uncommon for extension cords to be plugged in for extended periods of time; take holiday lights, for example. In-use or “bubble covers” provide protection at all times. The national electrical code defines a “wet location” as an area that is subject to saturation with water or other liquids, and unprotected locations exposed to the weather. The national electric code has another definition for “damp locations” that is more subjective, but if you think the receptacle is going to get wet, use an in-use cover. And don’t forget the weather-resistant receptacle. The national electric code requires that all 15- and 20-amp receptacles be rated as weather-resistant and tamper-resistant when installed in both wet and damp locations.
Too few receptacles, too many extension cords
From any point along a wall line, a receptacle outlet needs to be within reach of a 6-foot appliance cord, and that six feet cannot be measured across a passageway. The purpose of the national electric code is to reduce the use of extension cords. The bottom line is that extension cords start fires and create tripping hazards—the fewer extension cords, the better. Here are some myths about electricity that need to be cleared up.
Receptacles need to be tamper resistant
Tamper-resistant receptacles are designed to stop a kid from inserting an object, such as a paper clip. They’re required for all locations, indoors and out. Tamper-resistant receptacles are a great invention, so use them—it’s a national electric code.
Exposed light bulbs in closets
It’s not uncommon, especially in older homes, to find exposed incandescent light bulbs in closets. All light bulbs in closets must be fully covered or enclosed in some sort of housing to prevent the heat from the light bulb from becoming another potential fire hazard.
Unfilled openings in electrical panels
Any unused openings in electrical panels need to be filled in order to prevent any shocks or sparks from escaping the panel and to keep pests or critters from crawling into the panel. Luckily, filler plates made to plug those gaps are easy to find online and don’t cost much. Just be sure to get filler plates that match the manufacturer of your electrical panel.
GFCI outlets are part of the building code in rooms where moisture is present (kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc.). Your inspector will know how to test these outlets properly, and malfunctioning or non-working GFCI outlets could hint at bigger electrical problems. Be sure you’re paying attention to the signs your house has a major electrical problem.