10 Things You Shouldn’t Own If You Have a Cat
Keep your cat safe and keep these things out of your house.
Cats like to play with string toys and yarn might be a good, cheap toy, but it’s not. It can present a choking hazard and damage their intestines if swallowed. Also, make sure you avoid these dangerous mistakes cat owners should never make.
Himalayan salt lamps
Himalayan salt lamps caught on because of their reported health benefits but they’re not really beneficial for cats who have been known to lick them. Cats are especially susceptible to salt poisoning and the salt lamps can cause diarrhea, seizures, lethargy and even death. Watch out for these things you do that your cat actually hates.
Bones can be tough for cats to digest and become a choking hazard due to unusual sizes. Keep your cat off the counter and minimize the chances it’ll eat something it shouldn’t.
Kittens can get caught in mini blinds and hurt themselves if you don’t discourage them from walking near them. These are the signs that your cat really does trust you.
Treated toilet water
Cats will try to drink water from the toilet. It’s important that your tank doesn’t have cleaner cake inside because it can be deadly if they consume water from a toilet with a cleaning cake.
An aloe vera plant at home might be nice for you personally but it’s a potential disaster to a cat. It’ll induce vomiting and diarrhea if a cat consumes it. Avoid these other plants that can also be toxic to pets.
Flowers and plants
While they may be pretty, lilies are one of the most poisonous plants for cats. Petside suggests keeping them out of the house (or better yet, purchase artificial flowers). Be aware of symptoms of lily poisoning which include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of appetite. Call your vet as soon as possible if you think your pet has ingested lily. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says that without immediate care, cats who eat lily may develop life-threatening kidney failure within 36 to 72 hours of ingestion.
Chances are you don’t often have unbaked bread dough around the house but if you bake from time to time, it’s best to keep the bread dough out of reach. Even a little raw bread dough will expand once consumed and can kill a pet. Watch out for these silent signs your “healthy” cat is actually sick.
Liquid potpourri is hazardous to cats when ingested because it can damage their esophagus. Liquid potpourris can burn the skin and mouths of cats and they lack some of the liver enzymes to metabolize liquid potpourri. Now, familiarize yourself with these other household items that are dangerous for pets.