Reader’s Digest Poetry Contest: Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO ENTER. PURCHASING WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING By submitting
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO ENTER. PURCHASING WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING
By submitting an entry you agree to these official rules:
1. Eligibility: This Contest is sponsored by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc. (Reader’s Digest). Contest is open to residents of the U.S., its territories and possessions, including Puerto Rico who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of Reader’s Digest, or its affiliated or subsidiary companies, and their immediate family members, are not eligible to enter the Contest. Contest is governed by the laws of the USA. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law. All times referred to in these official rules are based on Eastern Time. Reader’s Digest is the official timekeeper for this contest.
2. To Enter: Entry begins at 12:00 p.m. on 11/11/2014, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on 1/30/2015 Eastern time. To enter visit www.readersdigest.com/poetry and follow the instructions. All entires must include your full name, address, city, state, zip code and email address as well as an essay as described below. Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. If entries do not contain all necessary information, entrant will be disqualified. Please be certain to follow all directions. You may enter as many times as you wish with different topics. Please do not submit multiple entries of the same or similar topics or content. In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best meet criteria as set by Reader’s Digest will be included in the final judging.
3. Tell us your original poem, in 15 lines or fewer. The entry must not be lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous or otherwise inappropriate or objectionable, as determined by the Judges and/or Sponsor in their sole and absolute discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry it deems inappropriate. The entry must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. All entries become the property of Reader’s Digest and Reader’s Digest has the right to use all entries in all print and electronic media, and to edit them for brevity and clarity.
4. Judging: Editors from Reader’s Digest Magazine will select the best poems based on editorial merit, as determined by the editors. All entries will be judged using the criteria stated above. Judges decisions are final.
5. Prize(s): One grand-prize winner will receive $500 and his/her story will be published in Reader’s Digest Magazine. Reader’s Digest will also select three (3) runner-up winners to receive $100. All taxes, if any, as a result of winning this contest are each winner/finalist’s responsibility. Reader’s Digest will not be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of a winner/finalist’s acceptance or use of the prize. All Prizes are guaranteed to be awarded provided a sufficient number of entries are received.
6. Conditions: Sponsor is not liable for, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, garbled or jumbled entries. Sponsor is not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading/uploading any materials in this Contest, or other technical difficulties or failures or other errors of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or third person’s computer and/or its contents, related to or resulting from Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. In such a circumstance, Winner will be selected based on entries received to date of termination. In the event of technical difficulties, contest dates are subject to change without notice. In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best meet criteria as set by Reader’s Digest will be included in the final judging. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader’s Digest, their affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. Any dispute regarding submission of online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organizations (e.g. business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process and/or any entry that it determines, in its sole discretion does not meet the requirements of the official Rules. All prizes will be awarded.
Winners and finalists will be notified by email and regular mail within two months of the closing date. All winners and finalists will be required to agree to the use of their name and likeness and entry for promotional purposes (except where prohibited by law). Each winner and finalist may be required to execute a Statement of Eligibility and Release and Payment Authorization within 30 days of prize notification attempt or (s)he may be disqualified and prize may be awarded to an alternate winner. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner/finalist may be selected. Entry and/or acceptance of prize(s) constitutes permission for the Sponsors and their agencies (if any) to use the winners’ name, address (city and state) and/or likeness for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation or authorization, worldwide and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known and hereafter devised, unless prohibited by law.
7. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Entry that infringes any 3rd party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligation or includes any personally identifiable information To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses for or in respect of which the Sponsor will or may become liable by reason of or related or incidental to any act, default or omission by an Entrant under these Official Rules including without limitation resulting from or in relation to any breach, non-observance, act or omission whether negligent or otherwise, pursuant to these official rules by an Entrant.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
9. The total number of contestants anticipated nationwide is 5,000.
10. Sponsor: The Sponsor of this Contest is the Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., 750 3rd Ave., New York, NY 10017.
11. Consumer Information: If you wish to receive a list of prize winners, or have any questions about the Contest, specify your request and send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:Reader’s Digest Poetry Contest, 750 3rd Ave., New York, NY 10017.