This vivid Washington Post profile of Jan Scruggs, the driving force behind the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, serves as a powerful reminder of that long-ago war’s enduring grip on America, especially on the men who fought it. I was moved by Scruggs’s encounters with his fellow Vietnam vets, and by his determination to build an education center so that future generations will understand how all those names ended up on that famous wall.
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- Gallatin, Tennessee: The Town That Rose Above Tragedy to Become the Nicest Place in America
- She Ignored Me All Through High School—Now We’ve Been Married for 58 Years
- This Heartbreaking Story Will Remind You Just How Much Kindness Really Matters
- At This Library, You Can “Borrow” People Instead of Books
- 10 Photos That Will Remind You There’s Still Good in the World