Though I’m a big music fan, I’ve never really gotten into classical. Maybe it’s because my parents preferred the soundtrack to Murphy Brown when I was growing up, or maybe it’s because the genre has an intimidating centuries-long history.
Enter Classify, an app created by the X5 Music Group for Spotify that puts 52 legendary composers at your fingertips. I’ve used it consistently since its release and can’t recommend it enough. It allows you to sort through a massive collection of music by mood (“Dark,” “Relaxing,” etc), theme (“Gregorian Chant”), composer, era, and instrument. Best of all, it includes detailed information about each item, putting the tunes into context and allowing even the most alternative of rockers a way into the fascinating world of classical music.
Thanks perhaps to a few months spent in the Czech Republic, I’m partial to Antonín Dvořák, a late romantic composer. (Listen with Spotify by clicking below.) But of course, there’s much more to explore. Any recommendations?
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 51 Favorite Facts You’ve Always Believed That Are Actually False
- 17 Common Food Names You Probably Pronounce Wrong
- 16 Powerful Quotes to Remind You to Be Grateful Every Single Day
- The Inspiring Reason People Are Painting Their Pumpkins Teal This Halloween
- Weird Facts About 7 Punctuation Marks You See Everywhere