Though the images are whimsical, the story behind them is somber: Carey’s wife Linda was diagnosed with cancer in 2003. She beat it, only to have the cancer recur in 2006; and she has been undergoing chemo ever since. The illness taught Carey that though life can be hard, sometimes the best thing to do is laugh.
Today, Carey dons his frills to fight breast cancer, one pirouette at a time. He’ll be self-publishing “Ballerina,” a book of his portraits and humorous stories, this fall, and hopes to raise $75,000 to benefit breast cancer organizations. Read more at thetutuproject.com.
Photo: Bob Carey
More About Love Stories
What You’re Sharing
- 24 Stories About the Touching Kindness of Strangers That’ll Make You Tear Up
- 5 Stunning Medical Miracles That Doctors Can’t Explain
- Watch the Seasons Change on One of the Nicest Hidden Streets in America
- After a Christmas Disaster, This Family Accidentally Grew the Most Beautiful Tree Ever
- 17 Extraordinary Stories of Giving—From People Just Like You and Me