On December 8th, NBC and Chase are giving $2 million away to a handful of fantastic charities, and you can decide which of the 25 nonprofits are in it to win it with your Facebook vote. In the midst of holiday craziness, I love watching the videos of people who are doing amazing things in the world—isn’t that what the season is truly about?
In the educators and mentors category, I’m partial to She’s the First, which mobilizes U.S. students to send girls in developing nations to school. Many of these girls are the first in their families to ever receive an education—and many experts believe that female education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty. Full disclosure: The founder happens to be my best friend. But you can vote once in each of five categories, and there are many other inspiring choices. I also love Team Rubicon, which trains and enables veterans to provide relief after natural disasters like Hurricane Sandy, and Architecture for Humanity, which builds homes after earthquakes.
Now get voting—it ends tomorrow.
Photo credit: Kate Lord for She’s the First
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- Carry These 3 Items All the Time—They Could Save Your Life One Day
- 28 Real Couples Reveal How They Knew They Found “The One”
- 6 Proven Skills for Any Emergency, from Someone Who’s Edited 30+ Survival Dramas
- This News Crew Saved a Man Live on Television During Hurricane Harvey
- A Photographer Turned Kids with Disabilities Into Superheroes—and the Results Are EPIC