Though the images are whimsical, the story behind them is somber: Carey’s wife Linda was diagnosed with cancer in 2003. She beat it, only to have the cancer recur in 2006; and she has been undergoing chemo ever since. The illness taught Carey that though life can be hard, sometimes the best thing to do is laugh.
Today, Carey dons his frills to fight breast cancer, one pirouette at a time. He’ll be self-publishing “Ballerina,” a book of his portraits and humorous stories, this fall, and hopes to raise $75,000 to benefit breast cancer organizations. Read more at thetutuproject.com.
Photo: Bob Carey
More About Love Stories
What You’re Sharing
- Gallatin, Tennessee: The Town That Rose Above Tragedy to Become the Nicest Place in America
- She Ignored Me All Through High School—Now We’ve Been Married for 58 Years
- This Heartbreaking Story Will Remind You Just How Much Kindness Really Matters
- At This Library, You Can “Borrow” People Instead of Books
- 10 Photos That Will Remind You There’s Still Good in the World