Though the images are whimsical, the story behind them is somber: Carey’s wife Linda was diagnosed with cancer in 2003. She beat it, only to have the cancer recur in 2006; and she has been undergoing chemo ever since. The illness taught Carey that though life can be hard, sometimes the best thing to do is laugh.
Today, Carey dons his frills to fight breast cancer, one pirouette at a time. He’ll be self-publishing “Ballerina,” a book of his portraits and humorous stories, this fall, and hopes to raise $75,000 to benefit breast cancer organizations. Read more at thetutuproject.com.
Photo: Bob Carey
More About Love Stories
What You’re Sharing
- 24 Stories About the Touching Kindness of Strangers That’ll Make You Tear Up
- Watch the Seasons Change on One of the Nicest Hidden Streets in America
- 17 Extraordinary Stories of Giving—From People Just Like You and Me
- The First Thanksgiving of This Immigrant Family Who Lived in a Tent While Dad Built Them a House Will Give You Chills
- 10 Things These Women Who Escaped Abusive Relationships Want You to Know