Though the images are whimsical, the story behind them is somber: Carey’s wife Linda was diagnosed with cancer in 2003. She beat it, only to have the cancer recur in 2006; and she has been undergoing chemo ever since. The illness taught Carey that though life can be hard, sometimes the best thing to do is laugh.
Today, Carey dons his frills to fight breast cancer, one pirouette at a time. He’ll be self-publishing “Ballerina,” a book of his portraits and humorous stories, this fall, and hopes to raise $75,000 to benefit breast cancer organizations. Read more at thetutuproject.com.
Photo: Bob Carey
More About Love Stories
What You’re Sharing
- Carry These 3 Items All the Time—They Could Save Your Life One Day
- 28 Real Couples Reveal How They Knew They Found “The One”
- 6 Proven Skills for Any Emergency, from Someone Who’s Edited 30+ Survival Dramas
- This News Crew Saved a Man Live on Television During Hurricane Harvey
- A Photographer Turned Kids with Disabilities Into Superheroes—and the Results Are EPIC