January 11th might not be a holiday in your town, but in Collingswood, NJ, the day officially marked “Get Out the Vote” Day. Collingswood isn’t looking to elect a town official with this day of voting, but rather vote itself to the top of the Reader’s Digest We Hear You America campaign.
Currently the town is in 16th place with close to 200,000 votes. To encourage more votes from residents of Collingswood, commissioners are hosting a voting party at a local restaurant. As an incentive, complimentary food will be given to all those who show up to cast online votes. It’s the hope that Collingswood’s new town holiday will bump the town to the top spot in the We Hear You America campaign.
Ideas on how to use grant money if Collingswood wins have been submitted to the We Hear You America site. Ideas range from funding community theater to revitalizing the downtown area.
In addition to “Get Out the Vote” Day, Collingswood has enlisted one of its youngest residents to pump up enthusiasm by cheering. Watch this adorable video of little Sully cheering for Collingswood.
How is your town rallying votes for the We Hear You America campaign? Share with us at rd.com/america.
More About Inspiring Stories
What You’re Sharing
- Gallatin, Tennessee: The Town That Rose Above Tragedy to Become the Nicest Place in America
- This Dad Makes Halloween Costumes For Kids in Wheelchairs–and You NEED to See Them
- This Heartbreaking Story Will Remind You Just How Much Kindness Really Matters
- At This Library, You Can “Borrow” People Instead of Books
- 10 Photos That Will Remind You There’s Still Good in the World