The Official 2019 Guide to Holiday Shopping Deadlines
If you prefer to wait a little further into the holiday season to do your holiday shopping, good for you. The question is: How long can you wait before it's too late to get those gifts to where they're going in time for Christmas, Kwanzaa, or Hanukkah? Here are all the holiday shipping deadlines for 2019.
Holiday shipping deadlines 2019
Online shopping is great: you don't have to leave the comfort of your sofa, put on clothes, fight crowds, or deal with parking. The downside? You need to give yourself enough time for that perfect present to make it to your recipient before the holidays. Exactly how long does that take? Find out all the holiday shipping deadlines of 2019—unless otherwise noted, dates are for U.S. delivery on or before December 24. You'll also want to know these 40 tips to save money when holiday shopping online.
The U.S. Postal Service
If you're sending cards or gifts via the United States Postal Service (USPS) or if you're planning on shopping with retailers who ship via USPS, you'll want to use this guide to holiday shipping deadlines 2019 provided by the USPS.
- UPS Retail Ground: December 14
- First Class Mail Service: December 20
- Priority Mail Service: December 21
- Priority Mail Express Service: December 23
In addition, keep in mind: The USPS holiday shipping deadlines for 2019 are estimates and not meant to be treated as guarantees (unless otherwise noted).
Order one of these best subscription boxes for everyone on your list and you won't have to worry about shipping deadlines.
What the USPS and UPS lack in terms of "delivery-by guarantees," FedEx more than makes up for with this extensive list of the shipping cutoff dates for delivery on or before December 25. Under certain circumstances, you can even ship on Christmas for Christmas Day delivery.
- FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery: December 16
- FedEx 3 Day Freight and FedEx Express Saver: December 19
- FedEx 2Day: December 20
- FedEx First Overnight and FedEx First Freight: December 23
Are you a procrastinator? Then you'll definitely want to check out these 35 last-minute Christmas gifts with free overnight shipping.
If you're doing your shopping at Target and want to make sure your gifts are delivered in time for Christmas, you're going to want to heed the following dates—for delivery by the first night of Hanukkah (December 22, 2019), please adjust accordingly:
- Free standard shipping: December 20
- Express shipping option (extra fees apply): December 21
Amazon has posted the following "guidelines" for its holiday shipping deadlines 2019:
- Last day for free shipping by Amazon on qualifying orders over $25: December 14
- Last day for standard shipping: December 18
- Last day for free delivery with Prime on many items: December 22
- Last day for one-day delivery (and it's free with Prime): December 23
However, there seem to be many applicable exceptions to these guidelines, and even Amazon suggests you should take note of the specific delivery date at checkout for any particular item. Be sure to check out these 60 Amazon Prime gifts for everyone on your list.
Walmart's holiday shipping deadlines for 2019 can be a bit confusing, but money-saving shopping site, BuyVia, shares the following recommendations for delivery by December 23:
- Freight shipping: December 9
- Standard shipping: December 13 for orders of under $50, December 16 for all others
- Expedited shipping: December 16
- Rush shipping: December 19
If you miss these deadlines don't fret, Walmart is also one of the stores that are traditionally open on Christmas Eve.
For delivery from Best Buy by December 23, BuyVia notes the following holiday shipping deadlines 2019:
- Standard shipping: December 13 at 9:30 a.m. EST (except for movies, music, and large items)
- Expedited shipping: December 16 at 9:30 a.m. EST
In addition, Best Buy is offering free next-day delivery on thousands of items, with a $35 minimum purchase. Next-day delivery is not available on Sundays, however, and for major appliances and certain large-screen televisions, other delivery terms may apply. While Best Buy ordinarily offers same-day delivery, that is not the case for holiday deliveries.
Kohls is no longer guaranteeing that packages shipped "standard" will be delivered by Christmas Day, according to its website. However, BuyVia advises that you can still be pretty certain your package will be delivered by December 23 if you have it shipped by no later than December 13 at 11 p.m. EST (with a minimum order of $50). As for expedited shipping, the following holiday shopping deadlines 2019 apply:
- Two-day: December 19 by 2 EST
- One-day: December 20 by 2 EST
Exceptions include shipments to Alaska, Hawaii, P.O. Box delivery, and APO/FPO delivery; for these, no guarantees are provided. Don't miss these holiday shopping tips for a stress-free season.