The 7 Best CC Creams for Mature Skin, According to Beauty Experts
CC creams help smooth lines and soften the look of age spots, hyperpigmentation, uneven tones and redness.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
CC creams (color corrector creams) are typically worn under a foundation as a concealer. They soften the look of imperfections, such as age spots, hyperpigmentation, uneven tone and redness. The best CC creams offer light coverage, anti-aging antioxidants and sunscreen all in one.
“Give yourself a little more color. For years, women thought lighter is better at hiding blemishes and dark under eyes”, says Erika Taylor, a makeup artist and cosmetic trainer. But that isn’t true. As you age, the rules change. When buying a CC cream, use a shade darker than you typically use to hide dark circles. We evaluated seven CC creams for mature skin that just might get you to ditch the foundation.
Best CC creams for mature skin
- Best overall: It Cosmetics CC+ Illumination
- Best value: Elf Camo CC Cream
- Best for dry skin: Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream
- Best for oily skin: Neutrogena Clear Coverage CC Cream
- Best for sensitive skin: Supergoop! CC Screen
- Best full coverage: Dermablend Continuous Correction CC Cream
- Best staying power: Physician’s Formula Super CC Cream
It Cosmetics CC+ Illumination
“One of my favorite CC creams for mature skin is It Cosmetics CC+ Illumination,” says Taylor. Developed with the help of plastic surgeons and dermatologists, this cream lets each individual look their best. It not only conceals age spots and redness, but it helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and provides protection from the sun. It is hydrating, has anti-aging properties, is clinically tested and has SPF 50.
- Formulated with anti-aging antioxidants
- Provides full coverage
- Reduces the look of wrinkles
- 12 shades to choose from
- SPF 50
- Coverage might be too heavy for some people
- More expensive than many other CC creams
Elf Camo CC Cream
This affordable CC cream has medium to full coverage. It is infused with niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, peptides and collagen to help skin look flawless, radiant and hydrated. There is a large selection of shades to choose from with SPF 30. This cream doesn’t settle in fine lines, hides dark spots and—like all Elf products—is cruelty-free and vegan.
- Infused with anti-aging antioxidants
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Has a matte finish
- SPF is lower than many CC creams
Best for dry skin
Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream
Clinique is known for quality skin care products and their Moisture Surge CC Cream is no exception. With SPF 30, this Amazon beauty product helps draw moisture into the skin and retain it to keep it hydrated. The formula is oil-free, suitable for sensitive skin and provides good coverage for dark spots and redness.
Chongcha Tammy Zara, a five-star reviewer on Amazon, boasts how no one believes her age thanks to this cream. “I have used Clinique Moisture Surge CC for over 30 years now. Most people comment that my skin looks so good. I am 81 years old, and no one believes it!”
- Good for sensitive skin
- Does not clog pores
- Thick consistency
Best for oily skin
Neutrogena Clear Coverage CC Cream
Neutrogena Clear Coverage CC was developed with the help of dermatologists for oily and acne-prone skin. It contains niacinamide which minimizes large pores and evens skin tone. It provides excellent coverage, has a variety of shades and is affordably priced.
- Matte finish
- Blurs discolorations and redness
- Developed with dermatologists
- Fragrance-, oil-, and paraben-free
- Does not have SPF
Best for sensitive skin
Supergoop! CC Screen
Coming in with SPF 50 is the Supergoop! CC Screen that provides sun protection and is formulated without potential skin sensitizers. It is a CC cream that gives light to medium coverage and minimizes redness. Use it as a tinted moisturizer, concealer or buildable coverage foundation.
“I’m 58 years old, and my skin has never looked this good,” boasts five-star reviewer Faith Ezzo “I keep my normal cleansing and moisturizing routine and finish with Supergoop and bronzer.”
- Feels weightless on skin
- Spreads easily
- High level of sun protection
- 13 shades available
- Over 1,100 five-star Amazon ratings
- Has a limited number of dark shades
Dermablend Continuous Correction CC Cream
Dermablend Continuous Correction CC Cream has been dermatologist tested for safety, allergies and sensitive skin. It is fragrance-free, phthalate-free and vegan. The formula is lightweight but still provides full coverage and has SPF 50 for exceptional protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. It is also clinically tested to improve skin’s radiance after four weeks.
“I’ve been using this product for a long time and will continue to do so,” says five-star reviewer Kelsey. “It is extremely high coverage, a little goes a long way and it doesn’t look or feel heavy or cakey. It holds up all day over my extremely oily skin as well.”
- 16 shades
- Provides excellent coverage for spots and redness
- Lasts up to 24 hours
- Over 1,200 five-star Amazon ratings
Best for staying power
Physicians Formula Super CC Cream
This affordable Super CC Cream from Physicians Formula provides light to medium coverage for dark spots, uneven skin tone, redness, pores and wrinkles. With SPF 30, it’s suitable for sensitive skin, is hypoallergenic, doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients and is cruelty-free.
- Lasts up to 24 hours
- Feels lightweight on skin
- Has an SPF of 30
- Contains micro-color correcting pigments
- Over 1,200 ratings, averaging 4.2 stars on Amazon
- Small shade selection
What to look for when buying a CC cream for mature skin
CC creams fix or correct skin imperfections, such as redness, uneven tone and age spots, without covering them up like a foundation. they blur the lines so that the skin shines through. When shopping for a CC cream, Taylor suggests looking for buzz words on the label—hydrating, hyaluronic acid, anti-aging, SPF and luminous. CC creams go by undertones, not skin color.
- Skin Type: For dry skin, look for a CC cream with plenty of hydration. For oily skin, opt for an oil-free cream.
- Heaviness: Some CC creams are heavier than others. For a lightweight feel, look for those with a thinner consistency. Use thick or pasty creams for a more substantial feel.
- Finish: Common finishes for CC creams are matte or luminous. They typically say what type of finish is on the label. Luminous finishes give a radiant or dewy look.
- Ingredients: Look for ingredients that work with mature skin. Most, but not all, CC creams contain SPF, so if it is essential, look for SPF and the number on the label.
Types of best cc creams for mature skin
The best CC creams for mature skin contain hydrating ingredients and anti-aging additives. Look for ingredients such as niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, peptides and collagen.
How we found the best cc creams for mature skin
As shopping experts, our job is to help you find the product that works best for you. We start with research. We look at the ingredients of each product and how much they cost to ensure we recommend quality products worth your time and money. Then we look at the features and ask industry experts for their perspectives. Lastly, we look at product reviews to find out what people like and don’t like about it.
Should CC cream be lighter or darker than my skin?
CC cream should be one shade darker than your skin. “While past advice told us that we should go lighter to cover up imperfections, the opposite is true,” Taylor says. “We should be adding color, not taking it away.”
Do you put concealer on before or after CC cream?
A multipurpose CC cream works as a primer, concealer, foundation, highlighter, moisturizer, and potentially a sunscreen.
What’s next after applying CC cream?
You don’t need to apply anything to the face serum after a CC cream. However, some people put on foundation, using the CC cream as an all-over concealer. Some people also like putting on a finishing coat, such as a tinted foundation or blush, to add color.
About the Expert
- Erika Taylor is a makeup artist and cosmetic trainer with over 25 years of experience in the industry. She shares beauty tips, recommendations and tutorials on her TikTok and Instagram.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.