The 8 Best Jeans for Women That Flatter Every Body
Skip trying on dozens of pairs and go straight to these expert-approved styles, washes and cuts that will flatter you the most.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
Tell loungewear sets to step aside—jeans are back and better than ever. And they’re currently in the midst of a renaissance. So, what’s going on in the world of fashion these days, and where can one find the best jeans for women?
“While the skinny jean has reigned supreme over women’s fashion for over a decade, a shift in the silhouette of women’s denim is underway,” explains Sadie Cherney, a fashion expert and the owner of three designer resale boutiques. “Now we’re seeing higher-waisted styles with looser legs and cropped lengths.”
Best jeans for women
- Best overall: Madewell The Perfect Vintage Jean
- Best budget: Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. Shaping Skinny Jeans
- Best plus-size: Plus Size M Jeans By Maurices Classic Straight Curvy High Rise Jeans
- Best mom jeans: Abercrombie & Fitch High Rise Mom Jeans
- Best vintage-style: Levi’s Wedgie Icon Fit Jeans
- Best bootcut: LC Lauren Conrad High-Waist Bootcut Jeans
- Best for curvy bodies: Democracy Ab Solution Jeggings
- Best butt-lifting: Lee Sculpting Skinny Jeans
Madewell The Perfect Vintage Jean
Did you know these Madewell Perfect Vintage jeans are so beloved by shoppers that a pair sells every other minute? It’s true, and the vintage style and universally flattering silhouette have made these the brand’s best jeans for women for five years and counting. An 11-inch rise, tapered leg and Fair Trade–certified materials will make you want to clean out the closet to fit these in.
- The brand’s best jeans for women
- Classic vintage mom jean fit and texture
- Available in standard, plus, petite and tall sizes
- Available in waist sizes 23 through 33
- 28-inch inseam is just as flattering with summer sandals as with boots
- Sells quickly
Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. Shaping Skinny Jeans
There’s a time and a place for skinny jeans, according to style experts. There’s no reason to toss an existing wardrobe or cancel favorite styles altogether—just update the way you wear it. Skinny denim—like these Levi’s shaping jeans—are made modern with a high-rise style or dark wash. Just make sure to pair the skinny jeans with a modern top to keep the look current; skip the cold shoulder tops, infinity scarves and other styles that date you.
- Price point starts under $10
- Easy pull-on skinny jeans style
- Stretchy shaping panels
- Sizes 2 through 28W
- Short and long sizes available
- Over 90,000 Amazon ratings with a 4.2-star average
- Only tumble dry or air dry to preserve shaping qualities
Best plus size
Plus Size M Jeans By Maurices Classic Straight Curvy High Rise Jeans
Plus-size gals will love these affordable classic straight jeans, arguably one of the best jeans for women who have curves. Available in sizes 14W through 24W and in five different lengths, they are a dream to wash and wear, and they’ll quickly become a new go-to wardrobe staple. With 1% spandex, they offer mild give but hold their shape through countless wears and washes.
- Size-inclusive range
- Under-$30 price point
- Dark wash for pulled-together style
- Available in five lengths
- Machine washable
- Only one wash offering
Best mom jeans
Abercrombie & Fitch High Rise Mom Jeans
Mom jeans are back en vogue, and they’re modernized with slightly more flattering fits and fabric textures to help nail the look. “Don’t worry, they aren’t the same as the mom jeans from the early 2000s,” says Bernadett Vajda, a New York-based style expert. “They are revamped to fit the modern-day woman who desires comfort. They have a looser fit and have a higher waist, and are easily styled with a crop top, oversized blazer and boots—the choice is yours.”
These Abercrombie & Fitch mom jeans are one of the best jeans for women, and they’re selling out quickly. They’re size-inclusive with an expanded range and lengths ranging from extra short to extra long. The higher-rise waist nails the style, while a 12-inch back rise means you’ll never have to worry about underwear sticking out again.
- Comfortable, relaxed mom jeans fit
- Available in waist sizes 23 through 37
- Five length options
- Seven wash variations ranging from pale blue to black
- Medium price point for high quality
- 99% cotton and 1% elastane keeps shape and allows for easy movement
- Mildly destructed denim, which may not be appealing to those looking for a crisp, polished finish
Levi’s Wedgie Icon Fit Jeans
These flattering Levi’s Wedgie Icon jeans are probably the same ones moms wore back in ’89, and the ideal way to honor that denim-loving lineage. These classic Levi jeans are available in over a dozen washes to suit every personal style. They also come in various washes and an impressive size range from 23 to 34. Choose from several inseam lengths and then pair them with a modern shirt or a vintage concert tee.
- Authentic classic fit
- 8 washes
- 99% cotton, 1% elastane construction
- Washes and wears with ease
- Currently no plus-size offerings
LC Lauren Conrad High-Waist Bootcut Jeans
These high-waisted LC Lauren Conrad bootcut jeans are a classic wardrobe go-to. Besides coming from a trusted brand, what makes them some of the best jeans for women? They come in three neutral and on-trend washes, come in short, regular and long sizes and are available at an affordable price.
The higher rise of these jeans promises a near-your-belly-button fit that flatters and cinches the waist. Plus, a slightly stretchy denim material means they offer plenty of movement. In general, make sure to pay attention to those laundry symbols on jeans (and other clothes) before throwing them in the wash.
- Higher waist cinches and accentuates natural curves
- Affordable price point
- Classic styling
- Sizes 0 through 18 in several lengths
- Some reviewers note these are a bit “loose in the thighs” on slimmer body types, though “perfect” on curvy and athletic body types
Best for curvy bodies
Democracy Ab Solution Jeggings
The Democracy Ab Solution jeggings have mild whiskering, fading and deconstructed portions to give a casual, lived-in feel. They’re offered in a classic blue wash and designed to hold, mold, flatten and smooth all your best assets in a cotton-spandex blend, much like shapewear. Over 15,000 Amazon shoppers have rated these among the best jeans for women thanks to features like five true pockets. Fully functional pockets are a rare feat for stretch denim and offer places for things like phones and keys.
- Comfortable girlfriend fit in stretch denim
- Offered in sizes 0 through 24
- Shaping panels and material
- Several washes and colors
- Moderate pricing
- Over 15,000 Amazon ratings with a 4.5-star average
- Some reviewers note that non-stop wear leaves them a little stretched out and loose
Lee Sculpting Skinny Jeans
Just like the best butt-lifting leggings, you can’t go wrong with a booty-sculpting pair of jeans. This Lee pair happens to be beloved by thousands of happy Amazon reviewers, and for good reason. The broad size range and multiple washes, colors and styles make them a hit—plus built-in sculpting panels.
“Finally found my perfect jeans,” writes Amanda Lancaster, a verified Amazon purchaser. “I like a bit of weight to my jeans and found these to be exactly what I want, not thin like some other brands designed to stretch. The rise is perfect, not too high and not too low. And the color Nightingale is incredibly slimming.”
- Built-in butt sculpting panels
- Offers a toned, athletic appearance
- Affordable price point
- Multiple colors, sizes and styles
- Nearly 6,000 Amazon ratings with a 4.3-star average
- The built-in sculpting panels require careful washing and drying to preserve their integrity
What to look for when buying the best jeans for women
The keys to finding the best jeans? Material, construction and knowing what flatters your body shape. “Material is so important,” says Cherney. She notes that those who prefer structure and support will do best with 100% cotton styles, while those who like a little flexibility should look for cotton with about 2% Lycra content in the material. Even that small amount will give the jeans the ability to stretch about 15%.
Narrow down the trendy jeans styles even further by determining how high of a rise you like in your denim. Figuring out where you want jeans to sit on your hips or waist is as important as picking the right bras.
“Skinny jeans were the accessory to the outfit, often hidden like leggings under a tunic or a flowing top, but current denim styles are taking center stage in ensembles,” Cherney says. “They’ve got flattering and supportive waistlines, tailored backsides and interesting loose leg cuts. They are the statement piece.”
“Evaluate the ‘rise’ of the jeans, which is the measurement of the crotch seam to the top of the waistband. This will determine where the jeans sit,” Cherney explains. “Low rise sits on the hips and high rise on the waist. High-rise denim makes it easier to wear and conceal shapewear pieces if that’s something you wear. While both options have been trendy in past years, mid-rise jeans are going to be the most classic and timeless if purchasing high-end denim.”
Once you know where on your torso you’d like the denim to rest comfortably, which materials you would feel most comfortable wearing and which washes you like best (like pale stonewashed denim to pair with casual sandals, walking shoes or sneakers), you can more easily pick the right denim styles for your body type.
How we found the best jeans for women
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Which jeans are the most flattering?
Finding a pair of flattering jeans will depend on each individual’s body type. For some, high-waisted jeans create an elongating effect if they have shorter legs. Additionally, skinny jeans may make someone’s body look long and lean, while for shorter people, it could make them look even shorter. It will take trial and error to find the perfect jeans.
What are considered expensive jeans for women?
The concept of “expensive” may be subjective to each individual’s budget, but jeans at a higher price range typically fall within $150 to $250. Of course, there are jeans that will cost more, especially if they’re a designer brand. However, most people would agree that anything over $100 is classified as “expensive”.
About the Experts
- Sadie Cherney is a fashion expert and the owner of three Clothes Mentor resale boutiques in South Carolina.
- Bernadett Vajda is a New York-based image consultant and style expert with over 10 years of experience in the fashion industry as a model.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.