10 Best Reusable Water Bottles to Keep You Hydrated on the Go
Water is really good for you! But plastic water bottles aren't—and they're bad for the planet too.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Ready to invest in a reusable water bottle?
You already know that you should be drinking more water—and chances are, you know that single-use plastic water bottles are bad for the planet. After all, a growing list of stadiums, colleges, and airports have banned them. And with all the various reusable water bottles available, there’s really no excuse to keep buying bottled water. Yes, they do initially cost more, but after just a few uses, you’ll recoup those funds and then some.
If you’re thinking of giving up bottled water, you’ll be helping to lessen environmental stress and preserve natural resources and energy. And if you’re trying to reuse instead of buying more, read up on sustainable living, best reusable straws, best reusable coffee cups, and best reusable tote bags.
Ready to choose a fantastic new reusable water bottle? We tried dozens of bottles and asked experts and family and friends for their picks. We also scoured the top shopping sites to find the best eco-friendly water bottles for every personality and lifestyle. Our top picks are listed below.
Shana Novak/Getty Images
What is a reusable water bottle?
Before we get to our recommendations for the best reusable water bottle brands, we’d like to explain a couple of things that will help you choose the right one for you.
A reusable water bottle is made of a more durable and often more earth-friendly material than a plastic water bottle, particularly when its made by a top sustainable brand. Reusable water bottles come in all different sizes, weights, and price points, and they often have beautiful designs so you can pick one that matches your style.
Why you should switch to a reusable water bottle
If you’ve been drinking bottled water because you believe it’s healthier than tap water, you’re wrong. In fact, one report showed that the federal government is a lot stricter about safety testing on municipal water than most bottled water companies are.
Plus, that money you’ll save? Per Harvard University, bottled water is about 3,000 percent more expensive per gallon than tap water. You also won’t contribute to local landfills or plastic that ends up dumped in our oceans. Just how many plastic bottles are produced? An estimated 583 billion in 2021—that’s 100 billion more than were produced just five years ago, according to the Earth Day website.
Different types of water bottles
Like people, reusable water bottles come in all shapes and sizes.
The most common materials for reusable water bottles include:
- Stainless steel
You’ll find that many bottles offer a combination of these materials—for example, a stainless steel interior with a silicone or coated bumper.
Insulated vs. uninsulated water bottles
Some water bottles exist just to hold your water in a cute or minimalist container, and that’s fine. But many water bottles are more sophisticated and are insulated to keep your cold drinks cold, and your tea or coffee hot for at least a few hours.
How do you clean reusable water bottles?
Well, be sure to read the instructions! You’ll notice that some bottles can only be washed by hand, while others are dishwasher safe. While mold isn’t necessarily a concern, you will notice that hard water will leave residue on your bottle. You can buy a brush with a long neck specifically made to reach your water bottle’s nooks and crannies. Fizzing cleaning tablets that you drop into a full water bottle require less elbow grease but are a pricier option.
Best for sporty types
What’s the best reusable water bottle to buy? It really depends on your needs. Way before the rest of us started using reusable water bottles, hikers and bikers took their Yeti bottle everywhere. It also fits in most car cupholders, just in case your biggest adventure is navigating traffic on your way to work.
- The chug cap makes it easy to sip as you sprint, so you don’t have to slow down to take a drink.
- Yetis are dishwasher safe, so if you get it full of mud, it’ll be easy to clean up.
- They’re also vacuum insulated, so you can keep your drinks hot or cold as needed.
- You can’t use the Yeti Rambler with carbonated drinks, so you’ll have to stick to flat water.
- Some reviewers say the body of the Yeti can dent easily, but we haven’t noticed that in our experience.
Best collapsible reusable water bottle
The silicone design of this bottle is intentionally deceptive. Fill it with your favorite liquid and you have a full-size reusable water bottle. After you’re done with your drink, simply scrunch it down and you have a more portable version that’s easy to stow and refill.
- One of the worst things about lugging around a huge water bottle everywhere is carrying it when it’s empty. Stojo’s collapsible feature makes that a thing of the past. Plus, it’s ultra lightweight.
- The Stojo food-grade silicone meets the stricter European safety standard.
- The cute little bag strap makes it easy to attach to anything.
- It can be a little fiddly to get the Stoji back to full size.
- The slightly wide mouth can mean that some people end up dribbling as they drink.
Best reusable water bottle on Amazon
Iron Flask Sports Water Bottle
With nearly 95,000 ratings on Amazon, and the status of #1 Best Seller in Sports & Outdoors products, the Iron Flask bottle is hard to compete with. It comes in sizes ranging from 14 ounces to 64 ounces and in 26 fabulous colors and color combinations. It’s also leak-proof, insulated, and comes with three lids.
- Choose from a wide range of sizes and colors.
- With three possible lids, you can decide if you want to use the reusable straw, or guzzle your beverage while you’re out and about.
- It’s insulated, so your drinks should stay hot or cold.
- This is one of the heavier reusable water bottles—the 32-ounce size weighs in at a whopping two pounds, so not easy to schlep around all day.
- It’s hand-wash only.
Best versatile water bottle
BrüMate ReHydration Bottle
As described by the company, the BrüMate ReHydration Bottle is a 25-ounce canteen with two functions: Hydration Mode and Party Mode. That means you can fill it with your drink of choice. Sip from the straw for a burst of liquid while going about your day, or switch to the shot glass lid to enjoy a more grown-up beverage. Incidentally, if the name sounds familiar to you, BrüMate’s signature koozie, the Hopsulator Slim, has more than 60,990 five-star reviews on Amazon.
- Drinks stay really cold for longer. The company boasts something called Bevguard Technology, said to keep your drinks ice cold for more than 23 hours.
- Reduced metallic taste.
- There’s something fun about knowing you can turn this into a grown-up beverage dispenser just by switching the cover.
- The top is a bit fiddly to figure out.
- The small bottle opening makes it challenging to scoop in ice.
Best stainless steel reusable water bottle
Corkcicle Metallic Canteen
This bottle is so stylish that we can almost see modern-day Don Drapers using it to show off their effortless style. The bottles come in a range of shades, themes (think Star Wars), and collaborations, like its ongoing one with Rifle Paper Co. And get this, the Corkcicle Canteen is triple insulated and keeps drinks cool for 25 hours and hot for 12. It also has a silicone bottom, so it won’t slip.
- This is a relatively inexpensive way to show off your good taste!
- The wide mouth has room for ice cubes for a total “shaken not stirred” vibe.
- Fingerprints show on the metallic surface.
- It’s hand-wash only.
Best easy-to-use water bottle
Vmini Water Bottle with Straw
This water bottle has more than 28,000 reviews on Amazon, and many refer to how easy the built-in straw is to use. The Vmini’s patented design includes that straw plus a rotating handle.
- Extremely durable, perfect for hiking trips or kids.
- The universal lid can be used on other flasks as well.
- It comes with its own straw brush for easy cleaning.
- Some reviewers complained of a weird taste. If this happens, try soaking the bottle with water and baking soda overnight to remove the metallic taste.
- It may leak if the straw is left in the open position.
Best splurge reusable water bottle
Eunoia Copper Water Bottle
If you prefer a bottle that makes a statement, this one won’t let you down. The antiquey-looking pattern is handcrafted out of 100 percent copper. This bottle is also rust-proof, leak-proof, and made without any BPA. Reviewers on Etsy recommend filling it the night before you use it to most benefit from copper’s natural properties.
- There’s an artisanal vibe to this statement bottle, but it’s definitely not for everyone!
- While cleaning instructions say to wash by hand, they offer an easy recipe of water, lemon, or vinegar.
- Some reviewers say it makes a loud squeak as you open it.
- It’s only available in a 32-ounce size.
Best reusable water bottle for travel
O2COOL Mist N’ Sip Water Bottle for Drinking and Misting
One of the worst parts of summer travel is never knowing when your next shower will be. And trying to find a bottle for sustainable travel can be a bit of a challenge as well. What if you could combine your water bottle with a refreshing mist? The O2Cool does just that. A little squeeze and you can have a drink. Or, if you’re exercising outdoors you can treat yourself to a refreshing mist.
- The no-leak spout and lightweight bottle make it easy to carry around.
- Yay for BPA-free materials that are also easy to clean.
- We love the fact that it’s super lightweight compared with some of the other models.
- While the design is great for an external pocket on your tote, we get the feeling it won’t hold up as well in a knapsack or on the way to work.
Best lightweight water bottle
Hydro Flask Lightweight Widemouth Trail Series
We pretty much love everything Hydro Flask (have you even seen their amazing new outdoor serving bowls with lids?), so we were pleasantly surprised to find out that they have a lightweight series. Wait, what? It’s true! This bottle is 25 percent lighter than their similar bottle and still keeps your drinks colder longer. This one also makes a fun gift for campers.
- Made with 18/8 pro-grade stainless steel walls, which are thinner and lighter, but just as durable.
- The lightweight cap comes with a perforated strap meant to reduce weight.
- BPA and phthalate-free.
- We’re probably cranky to complain that this model is only available in three colors.
Best overall water bottle
Owala FreeSip Stainless Steel Water Bottle
Interestingly enough, sometimes you don’t want a bottle with all the bells and whistles. If you’re looking for a streamlined bottle that keeps drinks cold and is easy to carry, consider the Owala. It has a simple design, is leak-proof and easy to drink from, and comes in nice lovely color combos. We also really like the push-button lid with lock.
- Simple design and easy to use.
- Keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours.
- There’s a comfortable wide opening for adding ice or cleaning.
- We’re a little confused by the cleaning instructions, as the cup is hand-wash only, while the lid is dishwasher safe.
- You can’t use this one for hot liquids.
While it can be scary to read all about climate change and our unpredictable climate, along with the ways plastic clogs our oceans and is dangerous for fish and wildlife, it is comforting to know that we can find ways to improve the quality of life on our planet as well. Here’s a great reading list to get started: how to recycle (the right way), how to save water, and how to shop sustainably for fish and seafood.