1. Al dente: Of pasta; cooked – but firm to the bite.
2. Alla: In the style of; for example, alla parmigiana, meaning ‘in Parmesan style’.
3. Antipasti: Italian hors d’oeuvre of mixed meats, marinated ingredients, salads or hot dishes.
4. Bresaola: Air-dried salted beef.
5. Budino: Pudding
6. Cannelloni: Large pasta tubes for stuffing.
7. Caponata: Sicilian dish of peppers, tomatoes, onions, capers and black olives, often including fish.
8. Carpaccio: A raw dish, most often of thinly sliced Filet Mignon.
9. Farina: Fine flour made from wheat, nuts and potatoes.
10. Fritti: Anything fried
11. Funghi: mushrooms
12. Gnocchi: Small dumplings made from semolina, potatoes or ricotta cheese.
13. Granita: Water ice.
14. Grissini: Breadsticks.
15. Milanese: In the Milan style; of escalopes coated in egg, breadcrumbs, seasoned with grated Parmesan cheese, and fried in butter.
16. Neapolitan: Ice creams and sweet cakes in layers of different colors and flavors.
17. Panettone: Rich, sweet, vanilla-flavored bread with candied and dried fruit and nuts. Baked for Christmas.
18. Prosciutto: Raw smoked ham, served finely sliced, e.g., Parma ham.
19. Risotto: Savory rice, fried and then cooked with stock or wine and additional ingredients according to the recipe.
20. Romano: In the style of Rome.
21. Tartufo: An ice cream dessert enclosed in a chocolate shell.
22. Torta: Cake
23. Tiramisu: A dessert made with layers of espresso soaked lady fingers and sweetened mascarpone cheese. Literally, “pick me up.”
24. Vongole: Clams. As in the dish linguini vongole.
25. Zabaglione: Dessert consisting of egg yolks, white wine or marsala and sugar, which are whisked together in the top of a double boiler over boiling water until thick and foamy.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.