The 8 Best Floor Cleaners to Keep Your Home Spotless
Whether you have hardwood, laminate, marble or tile, these are our best floor cleaner picks that will leave your surfaces sparkling.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
Using a quality floor cleaner can make cleaning day a breeze. However, what might be the best floor cleaner for one person might not work for another. The good news is, you can easily equip yourself with the best mop and products to make your house glisten.
“Many different gadgets and tools are available for cleaning floors, and the best one for you will depend on the type of flooring you have, your preferences and your cleaning needs,” says Alicia Sokolowski, president and co-CEO of Aspen Clean. Sokolowski also says the size of your home and your cleaning schedule play a part in achieving maximum cleanliness. Whether you have hardwood floors, vinyl floors or tile floors, we rounded up our best floor cleaner picks to leave everything spotless.
The best floor cleaners
- Best overall: Rejuvenate All Floors Cleaner
- Best budget: Lysol Clean and Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Best for hardwood floors: Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner Spray
- Best for marble and tile floors: Black Diamond Stoneworks Marble and Tile Concentrate
- Best for laminate floors: Black Diamond Stoneworks Wood and Laminate
- Best vacuum mop: Tineco iFloor 3 Vacuum Mop
- Best for grout: Grout-Eez Grout Cleaner
- Best natural: Aunt Fannie’s Vinegar Wash Concentrate
Best overall floor cleaner
Rejuvenate All Floors Cleaner
If you want to invest in a floor cleaner to get the job done—no matter your floor type—Rejuvenate All Floors Cleaner is the way to go. Reviewers on Amazon offer up an average 4.5-star rating and over 8,000 ratings for this multitasking product. It can be used to mop or spot-treat areas where extra love is needed.
Unlike a lot of other best floor cleaner products, this one doesn’t need to be diluted, saving you that extra step. It also comes in a variety of sizes and bottle types (one of which fits into the brand’s Click ‘N Clean mopping system).
Verified purchaser Mary McDonough tried everything to clean her laminate wood floors, but nothing worked until she used Rejuvenate. “I have no words for how grateful I am for this product,” she writes in her five-star review. “If I could give it 100 stars, I would.” Others maintain that it dries fast with a fresh smell and doesn’t streak or leave behind residue.
Is your floor cleaner still good or should you toss it? Here is what you should know about cleaning products and their expiration dates.
- A highly effective cleaning product that works on all floor types
- Doesn’t need to be diluted
- Can be used for mopping or spot treatment
- Won’t leave behind streaks or residue
- Safe to use for everyday cleaning
- 8,400 Amazon ratings and a 4.5-star average
Some reviewers note it doesn’t leave a great shine on hardwood
Best budget floor cleaner
Lysol Clean and Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner
For anyone on a budget, Lysol Clean and Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner offers a lot of cleaning power. Averaging seven cents per fluid ounce for the concentrate, a little solution goes a long way when diluted with water. The lemony scent is a nice break from potent chemical fragrances, and reviewers can attest to its zero-residue effects. Did you know Lysol is one of the most trusted cleaning brands in America?
- Affordable option at seven cents per fluid ounce of concentrate
- Fresh lemon citrus scent
- Can be used to clean many types of surfaces in your home
- Doesn’t leave behind any residue
- Trusted cleaning brand
- 1,900 Amazon ratings and a 4.8-star average
- 90-ounce containers available at Walmart and Amazon
Unless you dilute, the scent might be too strong
Best for hardwood floors
Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner Spray
Most cleaning experts agree that Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner Spray is the best hardwood floor cleaner. The large refill bottle also happens to be the best-selling floor cleaner on Amazon. The spray bottle is ideal for spot-cleaning in case of spills or small accidents.
Users maintain that the cleaning solution doesn’t leave behind residue or lingering odors and, most importantly, leaves hardwood floors gleaming. Need some more tips on how to get your floor looking gorgeous? Here’s our guide on how to clean hardwood floors so they look good as new.
- Ideal for cleaning hardwood floors
- Can be used for mopping or spot treatment
- Dries quickly without residue or odor
- Safe for use on all unoiled and unwaxed wood floors
- 8,200 Amazon ratings and a 4.7-star average
- Available at Amazon and Walmart
- Some reviewers say the refill bottle has a tendency to “spill or drip” when pouring the solution out of the spout
- The 128-ounce refill bottle is sold separately
Best for marble or tile floors
Black Diamond Stoneworks Marble and Tile Concentrate
Some cleaners are too harsh for certain materials, specifically marble. This Black Diamond Stoneworks concentrate is formulated to clean marble and tile without causing any damage. While it’s more expensive than other floor cleaners, reviewers insist it’s worth it. Dilute the solution to leave stone surfaces streak-free without lingering scents.
Amazon reviewer Susan Owens says the product “was easy to use and did an excellent on my ceramic floors after Hurricane Ian.” Cleaning tile has never been so easy.
- Specifically formulated to clean marble and tile
- Also works on ceramic, porcelain, granite, natural stone, vinyl and brick floors
- Leaves floors streak-free
- Hypoallergenic formula is beneficial for sensitive users
- 4,400 Amazon ratings and a 4.3-star average
- Pricier option, but high value
- You may need to invest in a microfiber mop for the best results
Best for laminate floors
Black Diamond Stoneworks Wood and Laminate Floor Cleaner
Black Diamond Stoneworks works so well, we just had to include its laminate floor cleaner on our list. Over 8,600 Amazon ratings contribute to an average 4.4-star rating for this biodegradable, water-based, non-toxic and hypoallergenic formula. It safely cleans a variety of floor types, including bamboo, cork and other engineered woods.
Available in various sizes and bottle types, choose from pour bottles for large areas and spray bottles for spot cleaning. Now, learn how to clean laminate floors so they shine all week.
- Cleans laminate floors as well as hardwood floors
- Can be sprayed directly onto floors or used to mop
- All-natural, water-based formula
- Safe for kids and pets
- Sold in five different sizes on Amazon
- 8,600 Amazon ratings and a 4.4-star average
- Only available in one Apple Blossom scent
Best vacuum mop
Tineco iFloor 3 Vacuum Mop
Investing in a vacuum mop can shave off lots of time from your cleaning schedule, especially if you have a lot of hard surfaces in your home. What’s so great about the Tineco iFloor 3 vac mop is it takes out the guesswork of whether to mop or vacuum. Strong suction power, 25 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning time and ample water flow tackle any mess. It also features a dual-tank system, keeping clean and dirty water separate.
“After over a year of use, the vacuum mop works as well as it did straight out of the box,” says our Executive Editor Megan Wood in her Tineco vacuum mop review. “It changed my cleaning life.” Here are other vacuum-mop combos worth checking out.
- Vacuums and mops simultaneously for double the cleaning power
- Features a dual-tank system that ensures you’re always cleaning with fresh water
- Cordless design
- Doesn’t make too much noise
- Dries quickly without leaving streaks
- 23,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.5-star average
- Available at Tineco, Amazon, Costco and Walmart
- At $300, it’s an investment
- Can’t be used on carpets or fabric
Best for grout
As far as grout cleaners go, Grout-Eez is the ultimate stain eraser. Formulated for deep cleaning, this low-scent, professional-strength cleaner restores grout to its original color. Apply the cleaner to the affected area, wait five to 10 minutes, agitate with a scrubber and rinse your way to like-new floors.
Many maintain Grout-Eez is worth the price because it involves less time scrubbing on your hands and knees. To speed up the process even more, read our tips on how to clean grout.
- Efficiently erases grout stains
- The formula was developed by an industry expert with more than 25 years of experience
- Works on white or colored grout
- Safe on porcelain and ceramic tiles
- 13,000 Amazon ratings and a 4-star average
- Available at Amazon and Walmart
- Scrubber brush sold separately
- Not a green cleaning product
Best natural floor cleaner
Aunt Fannie’s Vinegar Wash Concentrate
Aunt Fannie’s Vinegar Wash Concentrate is wildly popular for good reason. It takes one of the most potent household products and turns it into a pet-safe, great-smelling, natural cleaning product. The floor cleaner sells three scents—lemon, eucalyptus and lavender—as single bottles, a trio or even a six-pack for those who want to stock up. The solution earns an EWG A-rating, making it one of the safest for kids and animals.
Use the concentrate on sealed floors only, such as hardwood, tile, concrete, linoleum, bamboo, vinyl and laminate. After diluting (one-half cup solution per two gallons of water), add it to a mop bucket, spray bottle or floor cleaning machine. Make the most of cleaning day with these other vinegar and baking soda cleaning solutions.
- Non-toxic, vegan and safe for kids and pets
- Pet-safe floor cleaner that’s great for cleaning pet messes
- Fresh scent lasts all day
- Can be used on any type of sealed floor
- Earned an EWG A-rating
- 5,200 Amazon ratings and a 4.4-star average
- Available at Grove Co., Chewy and Amazon
- Can leave floors sticky if not diluted enough
- Some users say they still trace the scent of vinegar
- There are some things you should never clean with vinegar
What to consider when buying the best floor cleaner
A versatile cleaner can be used on multiple types of flooring, such as hardwood, tile and laminate. However, you’ll know in the first few uses if a product is right for your home if it effectively removes dirt, grime and stains from your floors. Read customer reviews to see how well they perform in real-world situations.
Then, consider the cleaner’s scent, as some natural floor cleaners may have a more subtle scent than traditional cleaners. For those with allergies, consider an unscented product or even a homemade cleaner.
If you prefer to shop sustainably, look for a cleaner that contains natural, plant-based ingredients that are safe for you, your family and the environment. Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances and synthetic ingredients.
Biodegradable packaging is a plus as it breaks down naturally and won’t harm wildlife. You can also consider buying refillable bottles when possible to reduce packaging waste. And don’t forget to recycle!
How we found the best floor cleaner
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
How often should you mop your floors?
It depends on several factors, including the type of flooring, the amount of foot traffic in the area and whether any spills or stains need to be cleaned up, explains Sokolowski. “In general, it is a good idea to mop your floors at least once a week to maintain their cleanliness and prevent the buildup of dirt and grime. You may want to mop more frequently for areas with high foot traffic, such as entryways or kitchens,” she says, as well as cleaning spills immediately to prevent staining.
What floor cleaners are safe for pets?
Removing pet hair and pet odors can be a challenge. But when finding the best floor cleaner for pet urine or other messes, you’ll still want to make sure the products are safe for furry friends. Choose products that are non-toxic and free from harmful chemicals, per Sokolowski. Prioritize unscented and certified-green cleaners.
Can you steam-clean hardwood floors?
While it is possible to use a steam cleaner on hardwood floors, Sokolowski doesn’t recommend it as the high heat and moisture from the steam can potentially damage the wood over time. Opt for a gentler cleaning method instead, such as using a mop and cleaning solution like natural dish soap and water.
- Alicia Sokolowski, president and co-CEO of AspenClean
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.